HOW MANY FERRETS HAVE YOU GOT?

benny

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rew !

Do you have any problems with your jill´s about their hormones when they come into season ? I maybe get 2 jill´s this year , without a hob and few say they would have than problems and a few say there are no problems !

Greeting´s

Steezy

sorry rew, but thought i'd hop in & reply to this one.

jills NEED to be mated to bring them out of season. the only other alternative is hormone shots from the vet, which don't always work.

if you don't want kits, try to find someone with a vasectomised hob. doesn't matter if the hob is fertile or not, as long as the jills get mated.

if they are not brought out of season by the methods above, it's not very pleasant! their vulvas stay enlarged, making it very easy for infections to get into the womb, which leads to blood poisoning, and eventually death.

option 4, if you never intend to have kits from them, is to have them spayed. it is expensive, but a permanent fix for the problem.

Hi Rew !

Do you have any problems with your jill´s about their hormones when they come into season ? I maybe get 2 jill´s this year , without a hob and few say they would have than problems and a few say there are no problems !

Greeting´s

Steezy

jills NEED to be mated to bring them out of season. the only other alternative is hormone shots from the vet, which don't always work.

if you don't want kits, try to find someone with a vasectomised hob. doesn't matter if the hob is fertile or not, as long as the jills get mated.

if they are not brought out of season by the methods above, it's not very pleasant! their vulvas stay enlarged, making it very easy for infections to get into the womb, which leads to blood poisoning, and eventually death.

option 4, if you never intend to have kits from them, is to have them spayed. it is expensive, but a permanent fix for the problem.

Thank you ! Will do the spaying i think !

Greeting´s

Steezy

Hi Rew !

Greeting´s

Steezy

hi mate i have only ever bred my ferrets when they was two or three but havent since.they do stay in heat for abit but if you keep them clean the should be alright.do take my word for this because im no expert but my ferrets are seven this year and they have had no problems.

good hunting

rew

ill stop you there because i no a few people who only keep jills and NEVER breed or give them jabs just keep them clean one bloke has a 7 yr old never been bred from and never given a jab

6 ferrets, 3 sandy hobs (1 is 2 years other two are last years young), 3 polecat jills (the youngest 1 has some nice white marking on her :D under her chin and on her front legs :tongue2: she is last years ) out of the other 2 the oldest is 4 and the other is 2 :) the older ferrets are really good workers and the young guns are comin on well B)

6 ferrets, 3 sandy hobs (1 is 2 years other two are last years young), 3 polecat jills (the youngest 1 has some nice white marking on her :D under her chin and on her front legs :tongue2: she is last years ) out of the other 2 the oldest is 4 and the other is 2 :) the older ferrets are really good workers and the young guns are comin on well B)

tired putting pics on but it double posted.

Edited by devvo
ill stop you there because i no a few people who only keep jills and NEVER breed or give them jabs just keep them clean one bloke has a 7 yr old never been bred from and never given a jab

some will be ok. but a lot won't, and imho it's not worth the risk. my girls came in season last year, and showed no signs of coming out (one had already produced a litter, then came back into season when she was put in with the other in-season jill), so i mated them with my dad's ancient hob, he had a bit of fun, the girls didn't produce kits, and they came out of season very quickly after they'd been mated.

i don't think spaying is the best answer to it, expensive and a lot of hassle. i prefer to mate mine. plus, i have one spayed jill from a rescue, and she had a bit of ovary left in her, took 2 rounds of hormones to get her out of season, so i wouldn't really reccomend that either! (couldn't mate her, she wouldn't let a hob near her arse-end!)