browning a bolt,howa 1500,remmington 700,, 243

hi lads would like to ask members there opinion on the above rifles,what rifle would you choose and why.bad points what moderator to use etc.looking into getting a 243 soon main purpose for now fox control but before i make a purchase would be greatfull for any info on the above three rifles.atb tenbob.

I have a Remmy 700 in .308 and it is a reliable rock solid piece of kit.

I also have 2 Browning X-Bolts( the successor to the A-Bolt ) in both .223 and .243 they are in stainless with synthetic stocks.

Not for everyone, many prefer the blued/wood version but they perform like champs and take abuse that the blued ones would suffer from.

Howa I have newer owned so couldn't comment but I am sure that many here can boogie.gif

Edited by firepower

hi lads would like to ask members there opinion on the above rifles,what rifle would you choose and why.bad points what moderator to use etc.looking into getting a 243 soon main purpose for now fox control but before i make a purchase would be greatfull for any info on the above three rifles.atb tenbob.

I use a Remington 700 Custom in .22-250 I use a muzzle break but no moderator.

The Remington 700 is a great shooting platform and can be up graded with an Accuracy International stock if required.

I use a Remington 700 Custom in .22-250 I use a muzzle break but no moderator.

The Remington 700 is a great shooting platform and can be up graded with an Accuracy International stock if required.

i use a howa 1500 223 great gun very accurate

Hi Tenbob, Im in the same boat at the moment regarding centre fire.

Everyone keeps on plugging the Rem 700, eben the gunsmiths and those that shoot BR etc, I think its down to the sheer amount of them made and the very good back up for extra tweeking at sensible prices, plus the fact that the'apparent' sub MOA straight from the box on some of the models. I think the strength of brand wins for Remmy.

I havent got round to looking at brownings yet but have been researching the Howas.

I think you have to be honest about what you are going to use the rifle for and also how - If its lots of stalking and walking then for me it would have to be a lighter rifle. If its going to be more along the lines of sniping from a fixed position/vehicle then you could easily just stick a heavy weight fluted varmint barrel on the bonnet and shoot from distance.

So the type of land that you shoot over has a big influence on what you decide to go for. I have permissions that have good track access, very good back stops and 2000m plus of open ground with high point to shoot from, so theoretically I coul go with a heavier rifle and do long range varminting; But there again I also have land to shoot over that would be a bit more walking and so a lighter rifle may be better rather than lugging a big long range platform.

So for me atleast logically its a rifle that fits between a slim barrelled traditional hunting rifle and a heavier barreled target type rifle.

Price is also a big consideration.

Right Im off out shooting for the day, tata.

M

Hi guys im on the same boat as Tenbob just thinking of buying 243 not sure what make yet but what sort of prices would I b looking at.

Try checking out "Gun Trader" on line www.guntrader.co.uk and you'll get a good idea of market value and I'm sure you can also get some discount off their list price.

Edited by David B Allen

lol.... i know how you can get over a rifle, very sentimental things really!! i have given it a clean and have gotten a bluing touch up pen as there were some marks around the silencer washer at the rear...but they arent major. it is a smart rifle and puts the bullet where it is meant to go, even likes priv which is a thumbs up from me. yet to blood anything with it but have some stalking planned and am out fairly regularly with my mentor after the odd fox. how did you find it when you had it...were there any quirky things about it. for my first rifle i am well pleased and Mosa has certainly looked after it!

atb

lol.... i know how you can get over a rifle, very sentimental things really!! i have given it a clean and have gotten a bluing touch up pen as there were some marks around the silencer washer at the rear...but they arent major. it is a smart rifle and puts the bullet where it is meant to go, even likes priv which is a thumbs up from me. yet to blood anything with it but have some stalking planned and am out fairly regularly with my mentor after the odd fox. how did you find it when you had it...were there any quirky things about it. for my first rifle i am well pleased and Mosa has certainly looked after it!

atb

i had no problems with it only marks on it was the ones off the mod, hope you get something soon with it.