Good advice there ^^^^^^^^^^

Over the next couple of months is definitely the easiest/best time to practice calling/squeaking, cubs tend to come to anything but the practice and education of calling and shooting them within stone throwing distance is great.

Was just wondering if sum1 could help me out just started fox hunting couple of months back and am getting all kinds of feed back on when 2 shoot foxes and when not can anybody explain best times of year..

all year mate, especially over the next few months when the game girds are to be released. keep it up

Was just wondering if sum1 could help me out just started fox hunting couple of months back and am getting all kinds of feed back on when 2 shoot foxes and when not can anybody explain best times of year..

....don't worry about the nit picky comments, some people rather than answer your question would rather try to be-little you.wallbash.gif

If you are just starting out then I would recommend you get a copy of Robert Bucknells book 'Foxing with Lamp & Rifle' it is very informative and you will find it very useful and you can easily re-sell it and get some money back afterwards.thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

If by 'best' you mean 'easiest' then in my opinion it would be this time of year when this years cubs are easily lamped and called in. Also as soon as any crop field has been harvested the foxes will be there that night to see what is about.

With foxes there are always plenty of exceptions to the rule !

Hope this helps!

i was out last nite about 10.00 and seen a young fox about 200 - 250 yards away and tryed to call him in but he never even looked back at the call at all.

....don't worry about the nit picky comments, some people rather than answer your question would rather try to be-little you.wallbash.gif

If you are just starting out then I would recommend you get a copy of Robert Bucknells book 'Foxing with Lamp & Rifle' it is very informative and you will find it very useful and you can easily re-sell it and get some money back afterwards.thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

If by 'best' you mean 'easiest' then in my opinion it would be this time of year when this years cubs are easily lamped and called in. Also as soon as any crop field has been harvested the foxes will be there that night to see what is about.

Hope this helps!

i was out last nite about 10.00 and seen a young fox about 200 - 250 yards away and tryed to call him in but he never even looked back at the call at all.

A few things spring to mind to remember :

• try a different call, I use a u-caller, scotch game call, widgeon whistle, and others that I can't even remember the name of! Check this out on youtube to help
  • try and be downwind of any fox on your approach, if they can scent you they will keep their distance and/or bolt.
  • if it doesn't like you call then try to bait it instead, ask the farmer if you can setup a baiting point somewhere and get a metal stake stuck int he ground and spear a few dead rabbits onto it, once foxes realise there is a regular source of food in that location then it is just a waiting game as far as you are concerned.

thumbs.gifthumbs.gifthumbs.gif

Hope this helps!

• try a different call, I use a u-caller, scotch game call, widgeon whistle, and others that I can't even remember the name of! Check this out on youtube to help
  • try and be downwind of any fox on your approach, if they can scent you they will keep their distance and/or bolt.
  • if it doesn't like you call then try to bait it instead, ask the farmer if you can setup a baiting point somewhere and get a metal stake stuck int he ground and spear a few dead rabbits onto it, once foxes realise there is a regular source of food in that location then it is just a waiting game as far as you are concerned.

Be patient as well dont expect results every time your out ,for every good night you may get 2 or 3 nights some times more that you wont even get a shot ,but keep at it and as Dave says read a few books or internet pages and see what has worked for other people and you may be able to use soe of there tactics for your advantage. :thumbs:

Hope this helps!

That video was great never new there is so many callers out there.

Do you ever use a real fox call to call in foxes, or does this work.

Hope this helps!

I have some real fox calls on my u-caller but I have found the distress calls of rabbits and hares and small rodents to be more successful , nut they maybe just me!

Hope this helps!

I have some real fox calls on my u-caller but I have found the distress calls of rabbits and hares and small rodents to be more successful , nut they maybe just me!

thanks for advice, tryed some fox calls last nite but no sign of the foxes.

i think the problem is there isn't so many foxes about were i am.

.....try the baiting method then. I often use the cheapest liver in tescos (and leave it in the car in the packet for a couple of days until it starts to go off ). Pick a spot where you maybe have seen a fox and leave some bait there each night for a few consecutive nights and then on the forth night just sit tight and wait for a fox to turn up. the difficult part is knowing what time it will turn up !

I have read various articles where people like yourself have said they have been out a few times and not seen a fox yet someone else who shoots on the same land was going out after midnight until 3am and would regularly see 3 or 4 so maybe you need to try going out at a different time ! I have never had any luck foxing in daylight myself so I just stick to the lamping or using my night vision. If you lived a bit close I would have offered to take you out and give you some hints and tips.thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

If you PM me your email I can email you some mp3 sounds if that helps at all.