Was just wondering if sum1 could help me out just started fox hunting couple of months back and am getting all kinds of feed back on when 2 shoot foxes and when not can anybody explain best times of year..

The best time to shoot foxes is all year round mate.

Was just wondering if sum1 could help me out just started fox hunting couple of months back and am getting all kinds of feed back on when 2 shoot foxes and when not can anybody explain best times of year..

The best time to shoot foxes is all year round mate.

cheers for that..

Guest Leveller

Shooting foxes isn't "fox hunting" :no:

so what u class as fox hunting.

Are you for real?

YA JUST A SIMPLE QUESTION LIKE!!

In English usage the verb ‘to hunt’ describes four quite different activities. Used intransitively, as in ‘She hunts’, or ‘She hunts with the VWH", it describes what hunt followers do.

The verb is also used with a direct object, in two ways. First it is used to describe what the huntsman does—as in "He hunts hounds", or "He has hunted hounds all his life".

There is another transitive use of the verb, as when we describe a pack as ‘hunting a fox’. Strictly speaking, of course, hounds hunt "along a scent line", which may or may not lead them to a fox, they can also be described as hunting the quarry itself.

Lastly there is a use of the verb with an indirect object, as when we describe a cat as "hunting for mice".

In American usage the verb ‘to hunt’ is used transitively of humans in the same way that it is used of predator animals. Americans hunt deer, rabbits, raccoons and so on with guns. They go after their quarry as dogs or cats do, with the intention to kill. In English usage, however, this is not hunting.

On a personal level can I ask why you've recently decided to make foxes your chosen quarry? You say you only started a few months back. I'm guessing you're not a keeper/farmer or landowner.

Are you for real?

In English usage the verb ‘to hunt’ describes four quite different activities. Used intransitively, as in ‘She hunts’, or ‘She hunts with the VWH", it describes what hunt followers do.

The verb is also used with a direct object, in two ways. First it is used to describe what the huntsman does—as in "He hunts hounds", or "He has hunted hounds all his life".

There is another transitive use of the verb, as when we describe a pack as ‘hunting a fox’. Strictly speaking, of course, hounds hunt "along a scent line", which may or may not lead them to a fox, they can also be described as hunting the quarry itself.

Lastly there is a use of the verb with an indirect object, as when we describe a cat as "hunting for mice".

In American usage the verb ‘to hunt’ is used transitively of humans in the same way that it is used of predator animals. Americans hunt deer, rabbits, raccoons and so on with guns. They go after their quarry as dogs or cats do, with the intention to kill. In English usage, however, this is not hunting.

On a personal level can I ask why you've recently decided to make foxes your chosen quarry? You say you only started a few months back. I'm guessing you're not a keeper/farmer or landowner.

No I am non of the above just a kid who started out fishing and ferreting lamping at a young and as I got older I got a springer trained him 2 the best of my ability then worked all the next summer saved up enough money and got my first shotgun purely for game and as my love for this grew I found my self getting more involved with different shooting and hunting way of life purely by instinctive nature..

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you for real?

No I am non of the above just a kid who started out fishing and ferreting lamping at a young and as I got older I got a springer trained him 2 the best of my ability then worked all the next summer saved up enough money and got my first shotgun purely for game and as my love for this grew I found my self getting more involved with different shooting and hunting way of life purely by instinctive nature..

Keep it up. Sorry for the poor reception your brothers are giving you here. Sounds like you're hunting for all the right reasons. Don't let a bunch of self righteous bores ruin it for you.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

....don't worry about the nit picky comments, some people rather than answer your question would rather try to be-little you.wallbash.gif

If you are just starting out then I would recommend you get a copy of Robert Bucknells book 'Foxing with Lamp & Rifle' it is very informative and you will find it very useful and you can easily re-sell it and get some money back afterwards.thumbs.gifthumbs.gif

If by 'best' you mean 'easiest' then in my opinion it would be this time of year when this years cubs are easily lamped and called in. Also as soon as any crop field has been harvested the foxes will be there that night to see what is about.

With foxes there are always plenty of exceptions to the rule !

Hope this helps!

• Like 1