lamping last night

went lamping last night with my dad as we were both itching to get out.the main aim was to enjoy a few runs and maybe take one or more home especially as the ferrets were running low on food.we went local which was about ten minutes from home ,it wasnt very windy but there was light rain which seemed to bring the rabbits out.when we flicked the lamp on there was a rabbit squating about 20 yrds away so my dad walked towards it with bramble on slip trying to get as close as possible.we was about five yrds away when the rabbit made a run for it.with bramble right behind it it tried to turn but she stayed with it and as it reached the hedge bramble picked it up . We walked to next field and we spotted another rabbit and bramble was once again slipped but this rabbit straight lined her away from us and out of the beam making its escape.we started to head back and with the swing of the lamp a pair of them familiar ruby eyes were aluminated so once again we tried to get closer as this coney decided to sit tight.As we got closer the rabbit decided to run for the hedge but it was to late as bramble cut of its run and struck to make it 2 out of 3.when we got home a whole rabbit was chucked into the ferrets and the other rabbit was skinned , gutted and fed to bramble as she had earnt it.

just the one pic of me ,bramble and the two trophies :clapper: now we are itching to get out again.

DSCF1937.jpg

good hunting

rew

good read rew welldone lad ....i was just wondering if your dog is trotting down the beam yet... as if you let the dog put it up.. instead of trying to get closer with sombody holding it.. the dog will learn to read which way the bunnies going to run there as making it easyier to catch ...just a thought its your dog and you know it better than me ...but mabye try it .... :D 20 yards is close enough and then slip the dog if he has seen it ..he will soon learn to trott the beam ....jmo...all the best.. ;)

Edited by snoopdog
good read rew welldone lad ....i was just wondering if your dog is trotting down the beam yet... as if you let the dog put it up.. instead of trying to get closer with sombody holding it.. the dog will learn to read which way the bunnies going to run there as making it easyier to catch ...just a thought its your dog and you know it better than me ...but mabye try it .... :D 20 yards is close enough and then slip the dog if he has seen it ..he will soon learn to trott the beam ....jmo...all the best.. ;)

hi mate i know what you mean.i have tried it but she just stands still.she does seem to be getting better,we walked up close on one and before it lifted she struck for it. she has already learnt to cut them of so i think shes starting to read them.

RESULT my friend and a quality write up. She work with ferrets ?

Simon

yes mate shes great with them ,i will hopefully be out with her and ferrets tomorrow.

all the best

rew

iam not telling you how to run your dog rew but if where you holding the lamp while your dad walked closer to the rabbit ..?if so you are better holding both whisper a word of encouragement to her when you spot the rabbit when the slip tightens let her go she has seen it ....make sure you say the same word every time ...she will soon pic it up ...once she learns to trott down the beam and theres a rabbit there every time you say your word... ;) :thumbs-up: you will be getting bigger bags ....good luck rew and keep at it ....

i was babbleing a bit then what iam trying to say is TRUST once the dog trusts you ..ie when i say to my dog watch it...yes thats what i say.. :blink: ..anyway everytime i say watch it he will start trotting down the beam wether hes seen it or not...because he trusts me and knows every time i say that word there will be 1000% a rabbit at the end of the beam ...he will trott it till he sees it even if its in rough grass and very hard to spot .....trust in you and your dog is paramount..(spell).....i can only give you advice what was given to me ..and it does work for me...hope this helps you in your hunting.... ;)