Running and working the dog will speed up the crippling defect. If its a pet, just go by the rules and keep an eye on the quality of life. Get a second opinion from a recommended vet, vets these days seem to come down with amnesia quite a bit !

Good link by Skycat.

The suggestion of magnets by another? There one of my pet hates because they have been tried and found to be an ineffective con, the science suggested as to how they work is gobbledygook, ie they magnetise the red cells and so increase flow, if they magnetised the red cells they would all clump together and bring instant death. Basically in trials with some wearing real magnets, others wearing pretend magnets and some getting nothing those with magnets did no better than those with pretend magnets ie placebo. So if there was some positive unknown to science force at work those with magnets would have had improved benefit over placebo and they don’t.

Sorry rant over.

Good link by Skycat.

The suggestion of magnets by another? There one of my pet hates because they have been tried and found to be an ineffective con, the science suggested as to how they work is gobbledygook, ie they magnetise the red cells and so increase flow, if they magnetised the red cells they would all clump together and bring instant death. Basically in trials with some wearing real magnets, others wearing pretend magnets and some getting nothing those with magnets did no better than those with pretend magnets ie placebo. So if there was some positive unknown to science force at work those with magnets would have had improved benefit over placebo and they don’t.

Sorry rant over.

I have to agree. The bioflow magnets do work well for many humans because humans know when something is supposed to make them better and placebos do actually help many people. They think something is working so it makes them feel better even though they aren't. This wouldn't work in dogs as they have no concept of medicine.

Good link by Skycat.

The suggestion of magnets by another? There one of my pet hates because they have been tried and found to be an ineffective con, the science suggested as to how they work is gobbledygook, ie they magnetise the red cells and so increase flow, if they magnetised the red cells they would all clump together and bring instant death. Basically in trials with some wearing real magnets, others wearing pretend magnets and some getting nothing those with magnets did no better than those with pretend magnets ie placebo. So if there was some positive unknown to science force at work those with magnets would have had improved benefit over placebo and they dont.

Sorry rant over.

I have to agree. The bioflow magnets do work well for many humans because humans know when something is supposed to make them better and placebos do actually help many people. They think something is working so it makes them feel better even though they aren't. This wouldn't work in dogs as they have no concept of medicine.

Tried to pm this but it won’t let me so will post. Against popular thought there is a strong placebo effect with both animals and children as both the subject and carer are effected, ie the owner feels the symptoms are bad and being unable to do anything gives negative thoughts but giving a pill, magic bracelets etc will lead to a more positive view as they have done something and so the symptoms appear reduced in their eyes. Plus there is a direct effect to the subject themselves and Rosenthal et al have done some interesting work in this area - if you tell students they are testing 'maze bright' vs 'maze dull' rats, the 'maze bright' rats will actually finish faster. This may be because the rats respond to being treated differently.

ROSENTHAL, R. & FODE, K.L. (1963) The effect of experimenter bias on the performance of the albino rat. Behavioral Science, 8, 183-89

Regards s

Edited by sandymere

Good link by Skycat.

Sorry rant over.

Tried to pm this but it won’t let me so will post. Against popular thought there is a strong placebo effect with both animals and children as both the subject and carer are effected, ie the owner feels the symptoms are bad and being unable to do anything gives negative thoughts but giving a pill, magic bracelets etc will lead to a more positive view as they have done something and so the symptoms appear reduced in their eyes. Plus there is a direct effect to the subject themselves and Rosenthal et al have done some interesting work in this area - if you tell students they are testing 'maze bright' vs 'maze dull' rats, the 'maze bright' rats will actually finish faster. This may be because the rats respond to being treated differently.

ROSENTHAL, R. & FODE, K.L. (1963) The effect of experimenter bias on the performance of the albino rat. Behavioral Science, 8, 183-89

Regards s

Makes sense. I have taken on dogs in the past because the owners said they were aggressive to dogs when walking etc. When I took them out they were fine so can only assume they were picking up on their previous owners nerves and reacting how they thought they should.