yeah wait for the season to start..

The grass is that long your dog whippet wont be able to see over it....

No oan the golf course :tongue2:

i think that a rabbit on the golf course is a mistake for the first one. the dog may find it better to spot, but the pace that the rabbit will take off at may just blow any whippets first go away. i would say wait for a while let the corn get cut have a go on rabbits that are in thier first year personaly i went lamping and picked rabbits as far out as possible that were in a small group i left the lamp on untill they started to move off if all of them went the dog remained on slip and i found some more. i did this untill i had one squat. refocused the dogs attention on the sitting quarry and moved slowly towards it with the center of the spot off just off in the direction that i thought the rabbit would go moving slowly all the time untill you dont think you can get any closer and then slip.

a l;ot of effort if lady luck dont like you but one slip and one catch then straight home a few times will produce a dog that belives in its ability and as you said whippet so will have a lot less chance of giving tounge

• Like 1

thanks for the tips everyone i have got access to grazed land with no livestock on anymore which is handy , and i was thinking about a golf course but the bunkers a risk with thee speed of the dog ,i took my whippet out tnite he had one slip but missed by 3 foot be it headed in to gorse bush and he dusnt notice the rabbit for a while until its running for cover ,is there anyway to make them more alert .

thanks for the tips everyone i have got access to grazed land with no livestock on anymore which is handy , and i was thinking about a golf course but the bunkers a risk with thee speed of the dog ,i took my whippet out tnite he had one slip but missed by 3 foot be it headed in to gorse bush and he dusnt notice the rabbit for a while until its running for cover ,is there anyway to make them more alert .

Experience!!!!!!

When he"s been a time or two and learns to look down the beam

personally I would wait for next season, the ground is hard and fast this time of year, and favours the bunny. There is no rush, and you could ruin a potentially good dog if it doesnt see some success early in its career. If you do persist then see if you can spot a mixyed rabbit.

Good luck and remember time is on your side.

By the way you dont mention how old the dog is? If it s a pup then defo wait. . .

I was told young, inexperienced rabbits for young, inexperienced dogs...

With them cutting the silage down, and plenty of young Rabbits about that are used to hiding in long grass then I'd of thought it the perfect time to start a young dog off. I suppose it depends on your area but we've had a bit of rain so the ground still has a bit of give in it.

Each to their own I guess but I'd have it out for a slip or two.

As for tips for your first time then just take it steady, it's not a race to get your first rabbit.

Try and find a squatter out away from the hedge(trying to lie flat in the grass when the lamp is put near it), try and get as close as you can to it (no long slips), then if your sure the dogs seen it, then slip, if not then kick the rabbit up with your foot, then slip.

Don't forget DON'T slip unless your sure the dog has seen it! I made that mistake more than once, thinking the dog had seen the rabbit only to have her trot straight past! and the rabbit to be a long way off before the dog see's it and gives chase.

If the dog catch's then don't snatch it off the dog as it returns. If you've done enough training then the dog will be more than happy to give it to you for a treat, if not then let the dog carry it for a bit. just call it to heel and walk on (slip the lead round their neck if you can). If you can then neck the rabbit so it can't escape then even better. Once it looks like it's calmed down with it's new toy then gently take the rabbit in one hand and offer a treat with the other.

Good luck with the dog!

• Like 2

wouldn't start on a golf course bud, even them can make a experienced dog look daft at times, also the dangers are not worth it, let him have a few slips ie 3-4, and if he misses take him again in a week or so, dont slip on long rabbits nice and easy ones to start with, try for the ones out in the field and not to near the hedges. Good luck, hope all turns out good for youthumbs.gif