Sunk Ammunition Ships

I have heard that after WW2 that around 40 (l think) ships were loaded with surplus war materials such as bullets, shells, explosives and l think chemical weapons of some sort and then sunk some miles of the coasts of Britain. I came to hear of this as my father who is in the coastguards reckoned that a lot of the explosive devices that have been discovered on our coastlines have come from these ships. Did this really happen? If anyone has any info on this l would love to hear about it as l can't find anything on the internet on it.

cheers Callum

there is a munitions ship sunk somewhere in the uk.seen a docu on it.divers are not allowed near it and ships give the area a wide berth aswell.i cat remember the reason they gave for not just blowing it up.there must be literally millions of tonnage of ammunition at the bottom of the atlantic.the u boats sunk millions of tonnage during the last war.bet its like a f*****g scrap yard down there.

there is a munitions ship sunk somewhere in the uk.seen a docu on it.divers are not allowed near it and ships give the area a wide berth aswell.i cat remember the reason they gave for not just blowing it up.there must be literally millions of tonnage of ammunition at the bottom of the atlantic.the u boats sunk millions of tonnage during the last war.bet its like a f*****g scrap yard down there.

Aye but these was intentional sinking s scothunter as the munitions were not required any more.

Changed my Google search and found these 3 links:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/4032629.stm

http://www.heraldsco...assing-1.471963

http://www.divernetx...ty/nasty598.htm

Edited by mangy1983

aye another problem from our grandparents,for this generation to try and fix.we really dint give a shit back then did we lolout of sight out of mind springs to mind lol

The last link from my last post said exactly that, very interesting info and a real eye opener, so chemical weapons, nerve gasses and radioactive materials were dumped!icon_eek.gif

After the post Hungerford amnesty, all the ammo that was surrendered was taken out to sea and dumped.

I knew one Naval officer who was done for 'saving' some of the gear he was supposed to dump.

There must be tonnes of stuff down there just waiting to wash ashore. I suppose that as the ships that were sunk rot away, more is going to be released.

never mind the ammo down there,bet there is f*****g loads of gold and other shiny things lol.heres a thing maybe someone can answer.not being morbid btw,but you never see footage of bones and stuff when you see pics of the wrecks.ie titanic and that.is that intential editing or do they eventually crumble to dust. :hmm:

Edited by scothunter

After the post Hungerford amnesty, all the ammo that was surrendered was taken out to sea and dumped.

I knew one Naval officer who was done for 'saving' some of the gear he was supposed to dump.

There must be tonnes of stuff down there just waiting to wash ashore. I suppose that as the ships that were sunk rot away, more is going to be released.

Yes including nasties such as mustard gas shells, Phosgene-charged rockets and the German nerve gas Tabun,

Yes including nasties such as mustard gas shells, Phosgene-charged rockets and the German nerve gas Tabun,

is that island up your way still off limits to the public?the one where they tested anthrax during the cold war.

is that island up your way still off limits to the public?the one where they tested anthrax during the cold war.

Im guessing from this newspaper article yes and no..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1457035.stm

officially yes but advised not to by some archaeologist fella

why do f**k about with stuff like that!also read somewhere about a disease that is fatal to humans (not man made)they have wiped it out completely,but yet a cpl of countrys held back from destroying it all.kept we samples.just f*****g get rid it of all i say.

why do f**k about with stuff like that!also read somewhere about a disease that is fatal to humans (not man made)they have wiped it out completely,but yet a cpl of countrys held back from destroying it all.kept we samples.just f*****g get rid it of all i say.

17,000 tonnes of the German nerve gas Tabun, all of which was loaded into 24 redundant vessels and scuttled in deep water off the Hebrides! Great if that was to blow up all at once bye bye civilian life in the Hebrides!

Not just dumped at sea guys we unearthed an ammunition dump in beverley east yorks buried only 4feet down, would have made a bloody big hole if that lot had gone off, home guard buried it in 1946 apparently MOD never kept proper records of all dumps. Fact is there are some complete bombers buried in yorkshire article in local paper , gave all the info on this, makes you wonder whats down there, :thumbdown:

I no a man who has lancaster bomber bits in his barn haha

True story but when they were reconstructing the Halifax bomber out of old bits that could be found of the bomber a whole section of fuselage was located on the Isle of Lewis which was being used as a chicken house!

Seing this map really put the dumping grounds into perspective for me though ....

post-42309-0-28195400-1306257882_thumb.gif

Edited by mangy1983