from the first day i bought my pup i was geting him to sit, stay and come back to me, ive carried it on but in the past 6 months ive stopped, no matter what i do he just wants to get on and do his own thing, ive used treats and all the normal stuff you do, ive even used long washing line, one thing i did find was using a short bit of washing line just hanging off his collar gave me more control, ive used elec collars too....still if i let him off the lead hes gone, looking for holes...... :blink: but yet if i go digging he knows whats happening, i can happily let him off with in reason, the way i have to walk him now is on the lead on my push bike to give him enough exercise, does any one else have the same probs? or has conquered them?

ben

Discipline, i'm not meaning tw@ him every ten minutes but terriers need to know who's boss or they will take the piss out of you. The softly softly approach works with most dogs but not most terriers.

trust me mate ive not been soft but at the same time ive not battered him :whistling: it doesnt seem to bother him one bit!! one day i actuallt hurt my hand on him and he just looked at me as if to say wtf that hurt but im not showing it!!! :censored: if he sees something and wants a go, he goes, a elec collar didnt work once!!

f**k the electric collar and washin line as a lead, by now you should have a good enough bond with the dog and it should no your the boss so if you call him he should be coming back, sounds like he coludnt give a toss about you and wants to just go do his own thing, my mates dog was exactly the same you just gota get a better bond with the dog and let the little f****r know whos boss a few batterings wheneva he ignors you and heel soon get the idea not nice hitting your dog but some need it

• Like 2

personally i think i have a good enough bond with my dog mate, he pretty much comes everywhere with me, i feed him i walk him, i take him digging, he even gets pissed off if i dont say hello to him when i get home.......... :big_boss:

trust me mate ive not been soft but at the same time ive not battered him :whistling: it doesnt seem to bother him one bit!! one day i actuallt hurt my hand on him and he just looked at me as if to say wtf that hurt but im not showing it!!! :censored: if he sees something and wants a go, he goes, a elec collar didnt work once!!

sounds hand shy to me due to a few slaps. some dogs cant take it.

my bitch was exactly the same,at one point I lost her for 36hrs she was found 14 miles away and thanks to a lady I got her back

She would never come back till she was ready I tried all the treats,a firm hand long leads the lot but as soon as she got her head down that was it GONE,Ieven thought about getting rid

I dont know what happened but she is a year old now and she has settle down nicely, and all ways comes back to my whistle

so what Im saying is just give it time keep on with the training and it should happen

GOOD LUCK

• Like 1

my bitch was exactly the same,at one point I lost her for 36hrs she was found 14 miles away and thanks to a lady I got her back

She would never come back till she was ready I tried all the treats,a firm hand long leads the lot but as soon as she got her head down that was it GONE,Ieven thought about getting rid

I dont know what happened but she is a year old now and she has settle down nicely, and all ways comes back to my whistle

so what Im saying is just give it time keep on with the training and it should happen

GOOD LUCK

cheers mate, nice to see a positive comment lol hes 15 months, i wont give up on him, and ill never get rid of him, if i go ratting hes bang on, its just when hes not engaged in anything

he might just wanting to be working until he learns to get out that stubborn strike mate,some dogs just turn off until he is ready but like you say he is spot on when he is out working,so he might just wanting to get his nose down but he will come right.atb

Most jagdterriers are like that which is why most ground hunters can't stand them. You've just got to figure out a way to give the dog the work it needs. It is not a want as far as I think with some terriers it is a NEED. I call it Blood Lust. If my dogs aren't regularly worked (walks don't do), then they are handfuls. If they are worked I love havin them around. They can be off the lead around any livestock they are obedient and they are my buds. But if I don't work them they kill the first thing in sight and it don't matter how much I yell after em. I had a great dog a few years back that I got for free. It had been kenneled it's whole life and was definately out of it's mind. I got him working and he was an excellent dog. But he acted like he couldn't hear a single command. I learned to only take him where I knew there was game and I knew I wouldn't get him back til I got the game he had in front of him. To this day I consider him one of my top three dogs but man was he a pain sometimes.