Closure of Coastguard stations in Scotland

I myself like many other people I'm sure enjoy sea fishing around the coast of Scotland and so the fact that the proposed closures of the stations that cover the North and West side of Scotland is very unwelcome and all to save money. When l look at a map of all the coastguard centres in Britain I just don't get why they would leave such a large geographical area uncovered. Anyone else worry about this or is it just me?

cheers Callum

post-42309-0-83098100-1305739502_thumb.jpg

I myself like many other people I'm sure enjoy sea fishing around the coast of Scotland and so the fact that the proposed closures of the stations that cover the North and West side of Scotland is very unwelcome and all to save money. When l look at a map of all the coastguard centres in Britain I just don't get why they would leave such a large geographical area uncovered. Anyone else worry about this or is it just me?

cheers Callum

AH WELL CALLUM WHEN YOU GET INDEPENDENCE SAINT SALMON WILL OPEN THEM ALL UP AGAIN :thumbs:

cheers Callum

AH WELL CALLUM WHEN YOU GET INDEPENDENCE SAINT SALMON WILL OPEN THEM ALL UP AGAIN :thumbs:

As long as my boat doesn't sink between the closures and the stations reopening. But in all honestly that is one h3ll of a big area for one station to cover and it being in Aberdeen its on the wrong side of Scotland as well. But l do smell a conspiracy as the Shipping minister Mike Penning has banned coastguard officers from giving formal evidence to the MPs on the cross party committee during its investigation into the radical plans.

cheers Callum

never really gave it much thought callum tbh mate. like everything else though those that govern us do.cut back and then realise when something goes wrong we actually needed it.

Yes lm sure another incident like the Braer tanker incident will make them realise that but by then it will be too late...

cheers Callum

As long as my boat doesn't sink between the closures and the stations reopening. But in all honestly that is one h3ll of a big area for one station to cover and it being in Aberdeen its on the wrong side of Scotland as well. But l do smell a conspiracy as the Shipping minister Mike Penning has banned coastguard officers from giving formal evidence to the MPs on the cross party committee during its investigation into the radical plans.

cheers Callum

Mate, I live 700 yards away from the Milford haven waterway. 25% of the UK's natural gas passes by, liquefied in huge tankers. This stuff is that dangerous, in other countries they won't allow a terminal to be built within 50 miles of centres of population. We've got two separate ones here... We also have two oil refineries. In 1996 a tanker called the 'Sea Empress' ran aground in the approaches to the haven and spilt 73,000 tonnes of crude oil into the sea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Empress

There are two major centres of pleasure boating on the Haven, two marinas with thousands of pleasure users between them. In the wider area, there are thousands of harbour users scattered about the county at harbours. We are one of the UK's most visited coastal regions, and millions of people come here to use the beaches, walk the famous cliff paths, etc.

They want to close our local station at Milford haven and transfer it all to Southampton. They say that the move will not result in a loss of cover.

Bollocks. How can they say that some operator on a phone in Southampton can assist with a rescue, or help with a huge incident better than an office of people who have extensive local knowledge?

As someone who has spent their whole life on the coast, I'm very worried by these proposals... :yes:

cheers Callum

cheers Callum

Mate, I live 700 yards away from the Milford haven waterway. 25% of the UK's natural gas passes by, liquefied in huge tankers. This stuff is that dangerous, in other countries they won't allow a terminal to be built within 50 miles of centres of population. We've got two separate ones here... We also have two oil refineries. In 1996 a tanker called the 'Sea Empress' ran aground in the approaches to the haven and spilt 73,000 tonnes of crude oil into the sea: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sea_Empress

There are two major centres of pleasure boating on the Haven, two marinas with thousands of pleasure users between them. In the wider area, there are thousands of harbour users scattered about the county at harbours. We are one of the UK's most visited coastal regions, and millions of people come here to use the beaches, walk the famous cliff paths, etc.

They want to close our local station at Milford haven and transfer it all to Southampton. They say that the move will not result in a loss of cover.

Bollocks. How can they say that some operator on a phone in Southampton can assist with a rescue, or help with a huge incident better than an office of people who have extensive local knowledge?

As someone who has spent their whole life on the coast, I'm very worried by these proposals... :yes:

So its not just me that's worrying bout this then Malt and these closures are not just happening in Scotland. I didn't realise they were happening in Wales as well. Are there any closures occurring in England?

cheers Callum

So its not just me that's worrying bout this then Malt and these closures are not just happening in Scotland. I didn't realise they were happening in Wales as well. Are there any closures occurring in England?

cheers Callum

Callum mate, they're on about closing down most coastguard stations in the UK, downgrading the remaining ones to a part time status & leaving Aberdeen & Southampton as the only remaining, manned for 24 hour stations. f*****g madness. :angry:

The whole plan is headed for the bin. There is to be a single central control HQ, and all stations will be open 24/7. There may be one or two closures, but basically it's "as you were". FFS, it would have saved less than £20m in the life of this government. It was a Labour idea in the first place. Puts you and me between a rock and a hard place eh Malt.