rat bites

hi all both my lurchers are rescues so dont actually do the whole hunting thing anymore....doesnt stop my young bitch wanting to kill and hunt everything in sight!!! she has brought me 3 hedgehogs 2 frogs a mouse and chased numerous cats, even went after some sheep once, she realised the error of her ways when i caught up with her!

anyway couple of days back a rat very foolishly came into my yard, the dog barely raised his head preferring to lie upside down on the settee where as the bitch was on it in a nanosecond, she killed it very quickly but not before it bit her and was hanging off her lip, do i need to be worried is there anything rats carry that could affect her???

having said that this is my girl who has jumped out me 2nd floor bedroom window before, ate rat poison and been ran over, she has survived all 3 things so maybe a rat bite is the least of her worries, just some one mentioned ulcers, thought if anyone would know you all would...

thanks alison x;-)

they carry a various amount of diseases,i dont hunt them so i really cant say if terrier boys get thier dogs jagged regulary if they hunt rats.personally it would concern me.my own grandad died many years ago,before i was even born actually by weals disease.rats make my skin crawl.i avoid them at all costs lol

Rats carry shitloads of germs, diseases and bacteria and a bite from a rat can easily get infected. A couple of days ago? How does the wound look now? After a couple of days i would expect to see swelling and/or redness which would indicate infection. If its clean, dry and there isnt any swelling i wouldnt worry. Just keep an eye on it. If its red or swollen you definately need to get it looked at.

If it had only just happened i would of advised differently but this happened a few days ago. Did you do ANYTHING at the time to clean or treat it?

i hunt rats with terriers i took the lurcher with me from time to time 2 times i had to take them to vets this was down to them rippin the rat to bits and bursting the piss bag the terrier pulled through no prob but lost a lurcher

Rats carry shitloads of germs, diseases and bacteria and a bite from a rat can easily get infected. A couple of days ago? How does the wound look now? After a couple of days i would expect to see swelling and/or redness which would indicate infection. If its clean, dry and there isnt any swelling i wouldnt worry. Just keep an eye on it. If its red or swollen you definately need to get it looked at.

If it had only just happened i would of advised differently but this happened a few days ago. Did you do ANYTHING at the time to clean or treat it?

[/quot

happened on sunday, looks fine no swelling at all, washed it down and used some stuff the vet gave me for her wounds when she was run over,was like an antibac wash, course i didnt just leave her!! reason i was asking was a lad from work mentioned ulcers and i could only think they wouldve looked dark in colour but as she has a black mask and dark inside her mouth not sure how easy it wouldve been to see, like i said no swelling but will still keep an eye incase it changes

alison x;-)

"happened on sunday, looks fine no swelling at all, washed it down and used some stuff the vet gave me for her wounds when she was run over,was like an antibac wash"

Sounds good to me, just keep an eye on it just in case and keep using the antibac stuff as you did when she was run over. :thumbs:

It's the piss you gotta be wary of more than a bite, mate lost a terrier to weils , was'nt up to date with the jabs. If your bitch has had her jabs and boosters should be ok. As said keep an eye on the wound. My terrier got bit on the nose last time ratting cleaned it out and some anti septic and she was fine.

all the best

kev

It's the piss you gotta be wary of more than a bite, mate lost a terrier to weils , was'nt up to date with the jabs. If your bitch has had her jabs and boosters should be ok. As said keep an eye on the wound. My terrier got bit on the nose last time ratting cleaned it out and some anti septic and she was fine.

all the best

kev

yea it was rats swimming and pissing in the water at the shioyard where my grandad worked that killed him.

yeah shes all up to date with her jabs, will continue to use the wash till its all gone, i do think she is titaniuum plated or part cat, just when she got run over the car went totally over her and yeah she had grazes but apart from a couple of staples on the back of her head was pretty much unscathed. vet couldnt believe it!!

anyway thanks for advice x;-)

Once youve run out of that stuff consider getting some purple spray and some cut n heal for future cut and bites. Cut n heal comes in spray, paste or powder form and iv got all 3 plus the purple spray, they all serve a purpose. For example you wouldnt want to use a spray near the eyes etc.

I had a springer that was like that he was ran over sure he was dead, took him to the vets and he put him on the opposite side of the room and made me call him over, he pulled him self over to me the vet said he'll be fine, and he was. He fell down the cliff onto Barry Beach when we were fishing jumped straight up as if nothing had happened, jumped out of the back of the work van on the way home one night ( found him at the police station eventually). He was F***ing mental laugh.gif

got purple spray for my horse but will look at the other stuff you mentioned, meant till her bite had healed not the antibac running out!! thanks again dogmagic x;-)

No worries. Hydrogen peroxides good for sterilising fresh, new wounds but once a wound is a couple of hours old i would only use salt water because peroxide will only open it up again.

got purple spray for my horse but will look at the other stuff you mentioned, meant till her bite had healed not the antibac running out!! thanks again dogmagic x;-)

No worries. Hydrogen peroxides good for sterilising fresh, new wounds but once a wound is a couple of hours old i would only use salt water because peroxide will only open it up again.

those crazy f*****g suicide bombers have made it a lot of hasle buying peroxide nowadays.the c**ts