Strange hacking/choking?

Hello,

I've posted before about my 1/2 greyhound, 1/4 deerhound 1/4 bull not having bags of stamina but she's been behaving a bit off of late

A few months ago after a tough run she literally lay down panting and kind of hacking/choking. It took several minutes for her to get to normal - I just put it down to her giving it her all and not having the best stamina.

At the weekend I took her to the beach for a run - on the way there she started having one of these types of attacks again - now she's done absolutely nothing strenuous to bring that on - so I'm wondering what it could be. She's travelled regularly fine with no bother. Its almost like she's gasping for breath and choking?

Are the two incidents related, anyone had anything similar or give any advice on what it could be??

Much appreciated

VLD

HI it could br a few things tonsils swollen . lung worm if you look down its throat put your finger on its tong press down so you can see right to the back either side of its throat right at the back if you can see small round swelling each side then its tonsils there is only one way get them out if they ok get test for lung and heart worm good luck

The first episode is likely, as you suspected a lack of fitness. If it's exercise induced then it's likely just over doing it and not uncommon, see it in dogs that are not 100% fit for a day or so after they have over exerted themselves. The second episode if prior to exercise is unlikely due to the same cause and could be due to many possible causes ranging from the more serious things like congestive cardiac failure to the more likely simple ones such as getting a hair in its throat. I'd work on the baseline fitness with a progressive regime of road work and gallops and consider a chat with a vet if it happens out of the blue again.

Edited by sandymere

Thanks for all the replies - I'll get her checked out at the vets in the next couple of week and let you know how I get on.

In the car it might have been something like that reverse sneezing thing as it didn't happen for long - having said that she doesn't have regular occurances - I've only seen it a couple of times.

The first was the worse she was laying down for quite a while - so likely a fitness thing - although her mother also used to do the same, so perhaps hereditary?? ~Sandymere will take your advise on conditioning though - the whip/grey I've got does same daily exercise but can go all night - is this just down to the different genetic makup - and therefore I'll have to do extra with the bull x to get her as fit as the whip./grey is naturally??

She's two and half so last season was the first one I worked hard with her.