working salukis

:thumbs: mine goes ferreting works the lamp does anything a lurcher does :thumbs: will mark rabbit sets

:thumbs: treat it like a lurcher and it will act like one :victory:

i know what your saying mate but some people make out saluki x are stupid,so why would anyone work full saluki :thumbs:

Thats a popular misconception. Salukis and saluki Xs are FAR from thick!! They are a lot more independant than most types and tend to do things their own way which can be frustrating for the owner but they are brilliant dogs in the right hands and as iv said they certainly aint daft! One thing to mention here though: they are VERY SENSATIVE! If you hit them or shout at them they will never have anything to do with you again, you MUST treat them with kid gloves and reward them for good behaviour rather them tell them off for bad behaviour.

thats not stricktly true ,, if you dont keep the upper hand they will run rings around you ..they must know who is boss.and told in no uncertain terms when behavour is unacceptable .im not talking about hitting them either but if they do wrong they must know about it ;)

I totally agree,spot on.saluki's know when they have displeased the owner for example if my dog wee's (rarely)in the house over

night he will not even look at me for an hour,he knows he has done wrong and gradually tries to get back in the good books by the odd wag of the tail to see if he is forgiven,then as soon as he feels a change in my vibe (to positive) will be his usual happy self ;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thats not stricktly true ,, if you dont keep the upper hand they will run rings around you ..they must know who is boss.and told in no uncertain terms when behavour is unacceptable .im not talking a

what about a fast dog that can also run slow, do the plod when the plod needs to be done,, maybe he the better dog :thumbs:the hare also has a say in matters   like most say horses for courses,I

Once owned a fair dog that could kill fours and fives he was blown off on a couple of occasions good hares on the last run of the day he didnt like it neither did i luck had it he didnt blow, Even a

and the bit about scotland only having small fields. you obviously struggled with geography at school, apart from literally hundreds of glens, what about the miles of open moorland like falkirk muir (moor) remember 1745, eaglesham moor where we coursed in the 70's miles of open land yet on the map its tiny, the carse o gowrie where theres hardly a fence between perth and dundee, go north west the open hills around torridon, shieldaig and applecross would test the best of any breed, go right to the top of the country anywhere on the map that says forest is miles of broken moorland. i could go on.

Why!!! What happened at 1/4 to 6? (Take your time) :D

scottish moorland hares are no test of a coursing dog they are puppy fodder

A few of my pals go up there once a year and totally bag up,from what i have heard once they are knocked off their track

they are very easily picked up,so i agree :thumbs: you simply would not get the same numbers running brown hares on field or fen.

last time i was up there (before the ban) i was with P S,

there were so many hares about that the keepers told us they wanted to catch as many as we realistically could, it was in the February and a nice fine clear morning, we caught 27 blue hares easily with 3 salukis, (all given fair law no kickups) we could have carried on and caught more but decided we didnt want to, its no fun slaughtering them, i think we were only on that moor for about 4 or 5 hours, and that included stopping for a brew and a bite to eat.

beautiful scenery and a memorable day out though