Cocker dog too hot

Guest matt49

dont worry about it iv got a well bred cocker when i first starting beating with him i used to take him out first thing 2 wear him out but he just got fitter now in between drives i leave him off the lead to do his own thing as long he dont disturb the next drive... Il take him beating friday saturday and pidgeon shooting sundays and he still wants more its like hes on speed

This is my cocker dog who's rising two now, bred with more FTCH than ive had hot dinners and probably the best dog i'll ever own, my only problem with him is that he wants to please toomuch, maybe not a bad thing...but im worried because he hunts so hard, he looks about done by the third drive.

i know thats there nature but is there anything other than change food that would calm him slightly.....he's not getting the snip before anyone asks!

Regards

Tom

mine is the same or was when he was that age when he got to 3 he calmed down now he does less than me but never miss a bird or rabbit you got good m=one there i kept 2 pups off him and both the same

This is my cocker dog who's rising two now, bred with more FTCH than ive had hot dinners and probably the best dog i'll ever own, my only problem with him is that he wants to please toomuch, maybe not a bad thing...but im worried because he hunts so hard, he looks about done by the third drive.

i know thats there nature but is there anything other than change food that would calm him slightly.....he's not getting the snip before anyone asks!

Regards

Tom

Guess what!

P1010802.jpg

I have one of those. same age as well as same lines

Hold him back a little in the drives. dont cast him off as soon as the drive start and pull him back towards the end of the drive. when the keeper tells you all to let the dogs go i would call him back and put him on the lead.

no the snip doesnt slow them down, it just kills their coat and they put weight on.

i feed mine and energy bar at lunch time. chudleys bar, it just helps his to last the day. i always think of my dogs before myself so i tend to sit with them at the truck on lunch brake so i can dry them down and a booster bar. if im in the truck i know they will sleep for a while as well.

Regards

Tom

get some meat and ribcage and pig fat in him or faxseed oil on is grub should last longer then 3 drives animal fats gives dogs more energy i only feed biscit if meats not unfawed very rare. your dog looks very well :thumbs:

Regards

Tom

mate, [bANNED TEXT] an awesome dog.............wanna sell him to a new zealand home ?

Ive had offers in the past which ive declined and i always will im afraid chap. He was a "tip" from a client..certainly the best i'll ever have, now he's a real worker, hard hunter and best friend.

Regards

Tom

Guess what!

P1010802.jpg

Hold him back a little in the drives. dont cast him off as soon as the drive start and pull him back towards the end of the drive. when the keeper tells you all to let the dogs go i would call him back and put him on the lead.

no the snip doesnt slow them down, it just kills their coat and they put weight on.

i feed mine and energy bar at lunch time. chudleys bar, it just helps his to last the day. i always think of my dogs before myself so i tend to sit with them at the truck on lunch brake so i can dry them down and a booster bar. if im in the truck i know they will sleep for a while as well.

Lovely looking picture activeviii, who did it for you? I like the way you talk of your dogs, a true dog person

P1010803.jpg

This is the 12month old pup. barmy and a box of frogs but very easy to handle. i have only just started her training as she is still mentally young so i've let her have her puppyhood.

do you just beat the one day a week and then the pup has it easy for 6 days or is he always on the go. i work the 2 yr old 4 days aweek on the pigeons and then on a couple of shoots in the winter. get the fitness up and you should see the day out. i your shoots are anything like the two i do then i take me hat off because im bu66ered by the end of the 1st drive. 1/2mile side of hills in woods do me no favours. :icon_redface:

Regards

Tom

Guess what!

P1010802.jpg

Lovely looking picture activeviii, who did it for you? I like the way you talk of your dogs, a true dog person

All I would say is think of how you are working him many handlers have the dog hunt cover that the dog knows fine well has no game yet the handler insists on sending the dog in <U>trust his nose and don't be afraid to hold him back a little</U> so long as he is on good grub and is fit you shouldn't have too many problems

agree with this comment 100%- work hard on pacing him, cos he sure as hell ain't gonna pace himself!

:thumbs::yes: I often take stick for my springer's "lack" of enthusiasm. he doesnt hit every bush but he scents everything - and doesnt miss much! nice looking cocker though and i think he may pace himself a bit more with experience