Mystery Red/Black Fox

As you can see from the picture we shot a few foxes the other night in Wales. One of the foxes (4th from right) had a black stripe along its back (but lacking the black shoulders like a cross fox would have). Also another (the 2nd from the right) had small rounded ears but seemed to large to be a pup. Any ideas?

post-61955-0-43847100-1304005181_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the picture we shot a few foxes the other night in Wales. One of the foxes (4th from right) had a black stripe along its back (but lacking the black shoulders like a cross fox would have). Also another (the 2nd from the right) had small rounded ears but seemed to large to be a pup. Any ideas?

His not cross hes fuc**n furious. :laugh:

• Like 3

Lets get a couple of facts straight before everything gets blown out of proportion...

I agree that culling a vixen or any animal with dependent young is not the most ethical or humane practice....

However this was not a widespread fox killing massacre; this was specific targeting of a family of foxes that has been causing havoc and devastation to our lamb population. For your information the cubs were out of the den and also humanely dispatched.

My lambs take priority over any foxes. I don't think Mr Fox thinks about ethical and humane practice when he kills a lamb before it has chance to take it first breath. I understand the fox is killing to survive. It is a similar situation for me; the survival of my livestock is critical to the well being and lively hood of me and my family.

Any way, still looking for ideas on the black stripe on the foxes back. Anyone else seen this on foxes?

• Like 6

Lets get a couple of facts straight before everything gets blown out of proportion...

I agree that culling a vixen or any animal with dependent young is not the most ethical or humane practice....

However this was not a widespread fox killing massacre; this was specific targeting of a family of foxes that has been causing havoc and devastation to our lamb population. For your information the cubs were out of the den and also humanely dispatched.

My lambs take priority over any foxes. I don't think Mr Fox thinks about ethical and humane practice when he kills a lamb before it has chance to take it first breath. I understand the fox is killing to survive. It is a similar situation for me; the survival of my livestock is critical to the well being and lively hood of me and my family.

Any way, still looking for ideas on the black stripe on the foxes back. Anyone else seen this on foxes?

I fully understand the need for fox control, it's what i do myself.

However you would be surprised at the amount of people who are willing to shoot suckling vixens, and not give a second thought to the cubs.

I'm happy for you that you managed to deal with the cubs, at least you have a clean conscience.

I have seen quite a few colour variations in foxes, white legs, black patches etc.

The black stripe is unusual.

• Like 1

iphone012.jpg

I've seen a lot of colour variations the last few years heres a pic from a month or so ago.

:icon_eek: thats a first for me, the bottom one has a blue hand like shape as a mask!

We often get fox covered in white dalmation like spots.

Lately im getting alot of small runty like dog foxes, vixens are always the stronger around here.

At the time I just thought it may be better not to show the full extent of the damage. I also turn the foxes on to the least side of damage as we all know what cf rifles are capable of doing. All I like to see is a DEAD fox!

• Like 2

Nevermind her black stripe what about the cubs? You can see her bloody udders :thumbdown:

They couldnt give a toss mate, when i first joined this forum i couldnt believe how widespread this practice was. Makes you despair.

...FOXES ARE CLASSED AS VERMIN !! I BET IF YOU HAD RATS OR MICE IN YOUR HOUSE YOU WOULDN'T BE ASKING YOURSELF WHETHER THEY HAD YOUNG BEFORE YOU POISONED THEM !:whistling:

Well said and great shooting that man.