Lamb killer

Up here in the borders we are all flat out lambing on the "In bye" ground with the hill sheep just about to begin, it is common to get the call from hill farmers when lambs start to go missing,but not as often with the stronger lowland cross bred flocks.

It began last weekend when the boss came in saying he had a lamb missing,alarm bells started ringing when another 2 went a night later,so got a couple of guns together for a stake out at dusk, which proved fruitless,again at dawn same result, spin round with the lamp, still nothing,by mid week we where 7 down and it was a real concern, no hoggs lambs where turned out (it was these that where being taken).A drive ofthe large wooded valley that runs through the farm was organised and the lads came with thier -terriers to check the earths,although i had already checked all the normal cub earths from afar,The drive was a blank and every earth has other occupants,by now there was some serious head scattching going on.....

DSC00223.jpg

I lay out again that night, no fox but i shot a hare in the hope that the fox would lift the carcase rather than another lamb,hare was ranged bang on 450 yds,went back out first light the hare was still there but the crows had found it and had started to pull it apart.

Back out for the evening shift, i was certain i was checking the right direction as none of the neighbouring farmers where loosing lambs,and he would have to come through a lot of sheep to get to us.

As the light began to fade i saw a distant shape of a fox on the plough, i watched him quatering the field like a pointer closing in on the dead hare,preasure was on now, i knew the distance so wound it into my scope, as soon as he stopped at the hare i loosed the shot off, what seemed like an age passed before i heard the thump of the strike, down he went only to get up and run, light was so bad i could'nt see what was happening, i approached knowing it was a good shot, but in the time it took to walk up all sorts where going through my head,i had no cause for concern as he waslying dead 15yds from the hare,Result, a massive dog fox tipped the scales just over 20lb...

004.jpg

Lads are out with the terriers onto neighbouring farm in search of the rest of the family...

Edited by 6pointer

Brilliant read mate and great shot and a big fox - may I ask what calibre the rifle is and the barrel length. Was the distance to the baited area a necessity because of the wary nature of this fox because thats one hell of a shot.

Brilliant read mate and great shot and a big fox - may I ask what calibre the rifle is and the barrel length. Was the distance to the baited area a necessity because of the wary nature of this fox because thats one hell of a shot.

Thanks mate,rifle is 6mmbr 26in barrel plus mod,the only reason for the distance was i was in the greatest vantage point available for an all round field of view.

It is a seriously accurate rifle and the shot was well within its capabilities...

crackin shot T, Tam was tellin me about it on saturday :thumbs: he's still talkin of buyin that custom 308 ti try and keep up :gunsmilie::laugh:

iknow,he recons if he gets the308 it would be easier to do all the loading at my place :laugh: that green eyed monster has got the better of him :laugh:

Got to be done mate and a decent shot there too.Doubtful if thats the killer though ,more likely a vixen this time of year and best of luck with her .We are flat out on calls ,never had it so busy and found more foxes to ground in this warm weather than ever before but not complaining mind .Nice set up there too.

Got to be done mate and a decent shot there too.Doubtful if thats the killer though ,more likely a vixen this time of year and best of luck with her .We are flat out on calls ,never had it so busy and found more foxes to ground in this warm weather than ever before but not complaining mind .Nice set up there too.

Cheers mate,problem ended after shooting this one, so its looking like guilty as charged.....

Scope is an IOR 6...24x50

How do you find the scope bud? as opposed to any of the top 3 european scopes

Martin,im a big Swaro fan and have a couple,the Glass in the IOR is very good, mabey not just as sharp as the Swaro but certainly not a million miles away, construction of the scope is bulky to say the least,turrets are large, but give positive clicks when dialling in and good repeatability.

I was lucky enough to buy this scope before the euro price hike, so compared to a nightforce it was a very good buy...imo

I use this rifle with a pair of Ziess victory rf bins to range and there is only a couple of minutes difference in in fading light..

6pointer