fishing flies

i was tying some flies ( out in the sun) today.

and marvelled at the modern fly patterns which adorn such materials as flashabou and crystal flash etc....which seem to catch more anglers than fish !!!!!

i used to relish the challange of finding the materials to tie flies such as, a mallard and claret or greenalls.

there was a time when only fur and feather would do........scouring hedgerows for feathers and tufts of animal hair to try and tie the perfect sedge.

but sadly ....its cheaper and easier to buy the mass tied, imported flies....they are so cheap, but there is a randomness to the same patterns i dont like...so i endevour to tie my own when i can.

(Marcus Valerius Martialis), born in the 1st century who wrote:

...Who has not seen the scarus (parrot fish) rise, decoyed and killed by fraudful flies...

so we are dealing with a very very old pastime !!!

is it just me or are there any other fellow tiers out there ????

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i was tying some flies ( out in the sun) today.

and marvelled at the modern fly patterns which adorn such materials as flashabou and crystal flash etc....which seem to catch more anglers than fish !!!!!

i used to relish the challange of finding the materials to tie flies such as, a mallard and claret or greenalls.

there was a time when only fur and feather would do........scouring hedgerows for feathers and tufts of animal hair to try and tie the perfect sedge.

but sadly ....its cheaper and easier to buy the mass tied, imported flies....they are so cheap, but there is a randomness to the same patterns i dont like...so i endevour to tie my own when i can.

(Marcus Valerius Martialis), born in the 1st century who wrote:

...Who has not seen the scarus (parrot fish) rise, decoyed and killed by fraudful flies...

so we are dealing with a very very old pastime !!!

is it just me or are there any other fellow tiers out there ????

I wish I had the time mate. Winters for dogs, summer for fishing and with flies on the internet at 25p each, free delivery...... I suppose its the love of tying and the joy of seeing you fool a trout with your own creation more than the money. I used to tie years ago but as I say, dont have the time. Totally agree with the modern patterns being tied to attract fisherman rather than fish..... same with lures. I hole drilled in an spoon head will catch fish, no need for the flash :thumbs:

I enjoy tying, but i must admit my efforts are pretty poor, my father was and still is on occasion a bit of a dab hand. When it comes to rivers i don't think you can beat natural and traditional materials, but when it comes to stocked still waters, the new materials really do have their place, i have some horrible bright blobs, and dawl bachs tied with some mad fluro shit, and beeded buzzers etc and when fishing for stockies quickly, i.e in a comp, they are lethal. But not much fun.

So far this season i have mainly been using two size 18 buzzers, one black and green and one red and orange, and a hares ear (again small 14 maybe?) on the point. And a selection of parachute flies.

i always tie my own fly s tried sum shop flies arrrrrrrr every fly has 10 different patterns this annoys me censored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gifcensored.gif

bu in saying that i only us 6 fly for the whole season 1, black pennil ,, 2,, fiery brown ,,,3 professor ,,, 4,green olive ,, 5 conamara black ,, and finally number,, 6 is a badger well that's what i calll it lol it really just a speckled wite hackel on a number 10 hook

I hardly ever fish now, but when I was fishing regular 3 or 4 evenings a week I always tied my own. One thing I noticed though, that when tying your own less is more. The majority of flies that you can buy are over dressed, and as has been stated are designed to catch anglers not fish.

Ideation has the right idea, simple flies fished naturally will always out fish the gaudy pattens. Many years ago, as like most people when the put and take "Trout fisheries" were springing up all over the place. fell into the lure chucking type of fishing, fooling myself as I went home with a limit bag every time I visited, that I was indeed a good fisherman.

Like most people I was hungry for any type of fishing literature, I then bought a book that changed the way I fished and thought about fishing for trout forever. That book was MY WAY WITH TROUT. by Arthur Cove. The cove nymph is so simple to tie and yet so effective, it was only then that I actually seen the light. His method of fishing has stood me in good stead for many years and although I very rarely fish these days, using his method I would not be short on confidence tackling any still water with a cove nymph or team of lightly dressed buzzers.

TC

On the rare occasion i do fling the fluff about i'll use just about anything as long as it catches however i do disagree with multiple hooks in fresh water.

Richard

Fishing "flies" like a muddler or catswhiskers is just spinning with a fly rod, so one lure at a time is enough. However, when fishing flies that are tied to represent natural flies, there is nothing wrong with a team of flies.

Just MHO.

TC

Ideation has the right idea, simple flies fished naturally will always out fish the gaudy pattens...

TC

Sorry but this is absolute nonsense.

One of the easiest ways to explain the difference between nymphers and pullers was written by a very good fishing and drinking mate of mine and once I (hopefully) get his permission I'll paste it here.

This will help solve the issues surrounding this emotive subject but it does apply in the main to stillwater. He gives some great advice as well on methods.

When it comes to the ethics surrounding nymphing on rivers and upstream dries we'll need a lot longer to discuss.

Cheers

Gillaroo

Ideation has the right idea, simple flies fished naturally will always out fish the gaudy pattens...

TC

Cheers

Gillaroo

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that point my friend.

TC

I tie all my own.............. for trout I only use 18-14 nymphs and buzzers but I am a dry fly man and always use 18-16 cdc and an emerger pattern always on light tackle ...I will get some pics up .

for seatrout I have a lot of success with the flie in my avatar and have had salmon on it skimmed right accross a pool in the summer

TC

Cheers

Gillaroo

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that point my friend.

TC

If this was the case the booby and blob would never be seen in a competition. I've seen pullers win comps and nymphers win and the best anglers can adapt accordingly. Oh and I've also seen a fishing mate absolutely spank the other anglers on a single cul. Fish how you enjoy to fish but stick to a single method and prepare to blank every now and again. One method does not always outfish others and it's a myth that all the big fish get caught on nymphs and lures are just for stockie bashing.

Cheers

Gillaroo

On the rare occasion i do fling the fluff about i'll use just about anything as long as it catches however i do disagree with multiple hooks in fresh water.

Richard

Fishing "flies" like a muddler or catswhiskers is just spinning with a fly rod, so one lure at a time is enough. However, when fishing flies that are tied to represent natural flies, there is nothing wrong with a team of flies.

Just MHO.

TC

I like to think of myself as an allround fisherman but im mainly into carp fishing and using one hook is what ive always done... im sure one day i'll be proven wrong but until then its one hook only. i must agree that ive caught a more fish using tiny black gnat flies on size 18-20 hooks than i have on stuff like boobies and the blob, but thats just on the local streams and ponds for fish upto a pound. Im sure if you were fishing a stocked lake for bigger fish then a lure will come out on top.

Richard