Pairing Ferrets

I think this will raise the common issue of "seasons"mate.

It seems generally agreed that jills need to be brought out of season for health reasons and that hobbs get very randy and prone to fighting when the spring comes and the old sap rises!

Have you tried an animal rescue centre?They nearly always have their ferrets spayed/neutered and often take in ferrets from the same litter which will reduce the chances of 2 hobs fighting as well.

I'm happy to be corrected though, as i've only kept ferrets for 2-3 years.

They get most of their strays in summer/autumn i think.

Good luck.Mooster. :)

get 2 hobs an have them done :)

I agree if you only want them as pets get them together & get them done or if you find a rescue in your area they will probably have a couple of neutered hobs that would suit your needs :D

Why not work them though mate, its one of the best country sports out there and i am sure many would agree.

I would get 2 Hobs and have them chopped :)

I have a mate who keeps 2 Hobs as pets (he does work them very occasionally) and they are nice, there alot less scaty than jills and laid back.

I do agree with ginge though, why not? I cant understand why people would want ferrets as pets to be honest, Horrible shits, tempermental on ocassions and they will do no more than a rabbit etc lol I do love them, great animals and bags of character but working them is what its all about for me, that sudden rush of exitment when a Rabbit bolts, that never gets boring :D .

Yes, i agree.I see from your profile you're from a shooting background- Have you done much

shooting bolting bunnies over ferrets?its good sport.( you need to be well disciplined and big on safety though)

but if you're keeping them as pets they will love a chance to go underground now and then.

Why not work them though mate, its one of the best country sports out there and i am sure many would agree.

I would get 2 Hobs and have them chopped :)

I have a mate who keeps 2 Hobs as pets (he does work them very occasionally) and they are nice, there alot less scaty than jills and laid back.

I do agree with ginge though, why not? I cant understand why people would want ferrets as pets to be honest, Horrible shits, tempermental on ocassions and they will do no more than a rabbit etc lol I do love them, great animals and bags of character but working them is what its all about for me, that sudden rush of exitment when a Rabbit bolts, that never gets boring :D .

I agree with you completely,but,unfortunately don't really know anyone who could show me how to work them and don't have any permission living in the middle of a city.Working them is obviously natural/instinct for them but as you said have bags of character and are an animal that i am very fond of.

thanks for the advice.

Edited by TommyL

jills will be fine together, although they can occasionally be a bit nippy towards humans. also, they NEED to be mated to bring them out of season, otherwise they get infected wombs, which lead to septicaemia - by the time you realise they're ill, it's usually too late. if you don't want kits, your options are: spay them, or mate them with a vasectomised hob (if you can find one!). one of my friends has just had his hob vasectomised so he doesn't need to spay his jills. 2 hobs will live together happily if they are both castrated. hobs are usually more laid back with people than jills, castrated or not. if you don't want to castrate them, they will need to be seperated in spring.

i have 2 unspayed jills together, 2 castrated hobs together, and a castrated hob & spayed jill together. there's really no difference in the temperaments. the 2 jills have the occasional nip, but they were both strays, and weren't at all well-handled when i got them. they are getting better though.

the spayed jill was from the aRsePCA, she was done when i got her, the rescue i got her from asked for half the cost of the operation & a donation as a rehoming fee. half the cost of spaying was £15. the boys cost about 25 quid to have done at my local vets. the price is usually the same as the operation on a cat.

Fair enough Tommy, Where you from? there might be guys from this site that could show you the ropes.

Im still new to it, but luckly theres a few peoplw around me who go, but we used to have ferrets a few years back so I do know the basics.

jills will be fine together, although they can occasionally be a bit nippy towards humans. also, they NEED to be mated to bring them out of season, otherwise they get infected wombs, which lead to septicaemia - by the time you realise they're ill, it's usually too late. if you don't want kits, your options are: spay them, or mate them with a vasectomised hob (if you can find one!). one of my friends has just had his hob vasectomised so he doesn't need to spay his jills. 2 hobs will live together happily if they are both castrated. hobs are usually more laid back with people than jills, castrated or not. if you don't want to castrate them, they will need to be seperated in spring.

i have 2 unspayed jills together, 2 castrated hobs together, and a castrated hob & spayed jill together. there's really no difference in the temperaments. the 2 jills have the occasional nip, but they were both strays, and weren't at all well-handled when i got them. they are getting better though.

the spayed jill was from the aRsePCA, she was done when i got her, the rescue i got her from asked for half the cost of the operation & a donation as a rehoming fee. half the cost of spaying was £15. the boys cost about 25 quid to have done at my local vets. the price is usually the same as the operation on a cat.

Thanks for the advice mate.

tommy l

Fair enough Tommy, Where you from? there might be guys from this site that could show you the ropes.

Im still new to it, but luckly theres a few peoplw around me who go, but we used to have ferrets a few years back so I do know the basics.

Liverpool mate,

tommy