ferreting trees

just wanted your guys opinion on this i am thinking of ferreting a warren that just so happens to be right under a tree and wanted to know if its worth it. will my ferret get stuck under the tree with a rabbit and i wonn't be able to dig it out because i can't get past the tree or a root or something? or will this not be a problem?

atb

Edited by No1FerretKeeper

Most of what we ferret either has tree roots, or rocks through it. Not usually so much of a bother, if you start early, feed the ferrets etc. But this time of year you will no doubt hit wee ones, so all bets are off so to speak. Start early, take a saw, and a good book.

if a rabbit can make its way around. then so will a ferret. some people say your collars will get snagged up but ive never really had that problem. i would go for it anyways its all about the sport :thumbs:

Try it ,it might work if it don't and you hit a big root try digging round it at a angle instead of straight down . .I like putting the ferret in the hole closest to the tree believing they might push them out to the open burrows so if Ive to dig it will be away a bit from the tree

If you have other burrows to go for I would leave any that are under larger trees.

I have wasted a few days ferreting where I have seen rabbits enter burrows under trees, temptation has got the better of me and I've netted them up, entered the ferrets, then waited for hours for them to resurface (impossible to dig).

Often when this happens I have heard the rabbit(s) thumping about inside the trunk of the tree.

On most occasions where I have ferreted directly under large trees, I have sworn while waiting that I wouldn't do it again !

You may be lucky and the rabbits bolt and the ferret(s) resurface as expected, but be prepared for a long wait or often a very hard dig (if possible) to get the ferret back.

Andy

well you will probs end up getting the shovel out at this point in the year in all honesty. but up to you. as i said id go for it, but thats just me and each to their own. ferreting can be a waiting game in any standards so.