Rock Piles

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a rock pile we have worked in the past, most of the land is like this

looks like yours are used to travelling them rock holes anyway. I only used to avoid the short legged, and barrel chested types...   I always enjoyed reading the stories from G.D (rip) in the EDRD

one that comes back out alive

Posted Images

I have only jagdterriers. But they are all different in how they are put together, and have different qualities. Some are all forward geared, some not. Some are stout compact dogs, and others athletic. Size varies.

I have only jagdterriers. But they are all different in how they are put together, and have different qualities. Some are all forward geared, some not. Some are stout compact dogs, and others athletic. Size varies.

:yes: :yes: always liked the Jagds ;) , I prefer my terriers about the 14" mark but as game as they come :toast: . Sadly with our ban I have got a black lakie (rough coated) and a smooth bitch, both are bayers and bark their little heads off when to ground on fox. My new border/lakie seems to be a bit head strong, a real in your face type :thumbs:

• Like 1

The thing is... I don't want to lose dogs. I put a fair amount of work into them from an early age. A good one is hard to come by, and deserve to be treated well. This is the land I have to hunt. The dogs range out in search of game. I am not always right there either. I am not making light of the fact that I may not see a dog again. But everything here is a disaster waiting to happen. The marshes are no picnic either. But I enjoy hunting my dogs and realize the risk.

This is what I am talking about. What type of terrier is best suited?

looks like yours are used to travelling them rock holes anyway. I only used to avoid the short legged, and barrel chested types...

I always enjoyed reading the stories from G.D (rip) in the EDRD magazine, he worked the same sort (jagd) though I got the impression that especially the males could be on the large side?

anyway, thats the land you have, and good on you for hunting it, dont be put off, all dogs could die from a multitude of ways each and every time you step out of your front door... good luck mate :victory:

• Like 2

I have them from about14.5 to about 11 inches at the shoulder. Kind of tightly wound but honst workers. Great locators and will work all day long. I was worried a little about them getting into trouble in the cliffs because of the high drive.

dont you mean earths or warrens?

Sets can be a colloquial term for a multitude of animals :thumbs:

fine soft sand for me is way more nervy a job than a rock pile....

:thumbs:

The thing is... I don't want to lose dogs. I put a fair amount of work into them from an early age. A good one is hard to come by, and deserve to be treated well. This is the land I have to hunt. The dogs range out in search of game. I am not always right there either. I am not making light of the fact that I may not see a dog again.

Good to hear, you did come across a bit blase earlier, so sorry for being a bit blunt :thumbs:

• Like 1

dont you mean earths or warrens?

Sets can be a colloquial term for a multitude of animals :thumbs:

fine soft sand for me is way more nervy a job than a rock pile....

:thumbs:

The thing is... I don't want to lose dogs. I put a fair amount of work into them from an early age. A good one is hard to come by, and deserve to be treated well. This is the land I have to hunt. The dogs range out in search of game. I am not always right there either. I am not making light of the fact that I may not see a dog again.

Good to hear, you did come across a bit blase earlier, so sorry for being a bit blunt :thumbs:

Thanks Moll. I guess I take it for granted that they are gonna get themselves killed. Doesn't keep me from getting that knot in my stomach at the thought. I get so used to hunting with a particular dog, or pair of dogs that it takes some time to make the switch when one does go. I catch myself wishing I had this or that dog back on a given day. But it is what it is.. and I hate t.v. so we hunt.

• Like 1

The thing is... I don't want to lose dogs. I put a fair amount of work into them from an early age. A good one is hard to come by, and deserve to be treated well. This is the land I have to hunt. The dogs range out in search of game. I am not always right there either. I am not making light of the fact that I may not see a dog again. But everything here is a disaster waiting to happen. The marshes are no picnic either. But I enjoy hunting my dogs and realize the risk.

This is what I am talking about. What type of terrier is best suited?

looks like yours are used to travelling them rock holes anyway. I only used to avoid the short legged, and barrel chested types...

I always enjoyed reading the stories from G.D (rip) in the EDRD magazine, he worked the same sort (jagd) though I got the impression that especially the males could be on the large side?

anyway, thats the land you have, and good on you for hunting it, dont be put off, all dogs could die from a multitude of ways each and every time you step out of your front door... good luck mate :victory:

Thanks man. I have a couple that are closely related to the late G.D.'s ols smaller line. Great nose on them and very well put together animals. I say that now realizing that I have only one... the bitch I just lost was the other. The one I have left is tiny for a jagd, but he is a bulldog at heart. His mother drowned at nine years old chasing blue herrons back and forth across a lake. Everytime they would land on one end she would swim to them only to see them return. I called and called to her. Nailed her over and over with the e-collar trying to get her to come in. Went in after her but couldn't catch her before she went down. To this day it kills me to think of it. I never saw her act that way untill that day. We were hunting the blackberry briars and she was giving it her all as usual. The dog was pure drive but could stay to task. She flushed some of the big birds and they took flight. She went after them and I really didn't worry thinking she would return in a few minutes. I had no idea she was even in trouble as she had swam circles around that lake in the past. Something happened to her that day. I will remember it for the rest of my life. It was almost like she was ready. I wasn't.

Jawn, I think it is very hard for the folks across the pond to grasp the different types of hunting in America. I have beat the dead horse with a few guys trying to explain our hunting but it only registers with their own experiences and they cannot seem to imagine a different way of doing things. Something different about our hunting is that we don't have a choice where the terrier goes. We let them loose and they find. We do our best to get them out but fact is many spots are undiggable. Like you said, it's not that you don't care when you lose a dog. It's that you realize it's going to happen whether you want it to or not.

Some hunt out a pretty good ways and do not check in for thirty minutes or so. If they strike a track they can go for miles. Some stay in shotgun range. Like dogs-n-natives said it could be their last hunt every time you cut them loose. I am going to try and see what we can do in the rocks.One good thing about these dogs is that they are loud as hell. But I know some won't be coming home.

Edited by jawn