Rock Piles

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a rock pile we have worked in the past, most of the land is like this

looks like yours are used to travelling them rock holes anyway. I only used to avoid the short legged, and barrel chested types...   I always enjoyed reading the stories from G.D (rip) in the EDRD

one that comes back out alive

Posted Images

they dont make em like him no more :thumbs:

cant add any more bud, he should be up there with the best of them, i wish he would write a book, but that will never happen, shame really :thumbs:

ive got some cracking photos of him

if you could send them to me that would be great bud, if you need my e-mail address etc let me know, regards,

Chad

Cairn terriers were bred for getting after foxes and rats in the rock piles and cairns (Stone Age burial mounds made of piled rock). Better if they are crossed with something nowadays though as though as they have become a bit showy since KC reg in the 1900s.

cant add any more bud, he should be up there with the best of them, i wish he would write a book, but that will never happen, shame really :thumbs:

if you could send them to me that would be great bud, if you need my e-mail address etc let me know, regards,

Chad

JUST FOR MY OWN COLLECTION SORRY

Chad

JUST FOR MY OWN COLLECTION SORRY

no worries bud, cheers.

• 11 months later...

Isn't that not what the lakie was bread for originially, rock work on the fells being narrow and leggie, I worked a lot of rock in my time, and been very lucky, the only time I come unstuck was when we had a little bitch got stuck on a ledge, it took three days to get to her, that give me time to think, I dont think of a dog as a tool these days, I have more respected for my dogs

hpim0614.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0474o.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0548h.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0567.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0536d.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0553s.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0503e.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15

I have been seeing what I can get away with with this rock hunting and so far have been pretty lucky. I know the luck won't hold so I thought I woud ask some of you that send you dogs in where there is absolutely zero chance of getting them out if they get stuck some advice. What should I know up front? Any help you can give a newbe?

hpim0614.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0474o.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0548h.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0567.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0536d.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0553s.jpg

By wohleb12 at 2012-03-15hpim0503e.jpg

I have been seeing what I can get away with with this rock hunting and so far have been pretty lucky. I know the luck won't hold so I thought I woud ask some of you that send you dogs in where there is absolutely zero chance of getting them out if they get stuck some advice. What should I know up front? Any help you can give a newbe?

Ask your self if you can go home eat and sleep, knowing that your dog is starveing to death in a rock hole. good luck
  • Like 1

If you don't already know the answer, i wouldn't take your terrier unleashed in places like that :thumbs:

Thanks man.. that is no question something I have thought long and hard about.

Moll man I have hunted this land for years. I have little chance of keeping terriers out of the rocks.

I don't like the idea of gaint lizards eating them either... but we still hunt

IVE LOST A FEW GOOD DOGS IN ROCK, NOWADAYS IF I CANT DIG THEM THAY DONT ENTER, THE FACT IS EVERY TIME YOU ENTER A TERRIER INTO ROCK YOU SAY GOOD BY, NO FOX IS WORTH THE LIFE OF A TERRIER. JMO

What was the point in the question then :D

The point was I am a novice on my best day. There is a ton of practical knowledge here that a person in my shoes could probably benifit from. There are types of hunting that I feel qualified to speak on. This isn't one of them. That's all.

What was the point in the question then :D

The point was I am a novice on my best day. There is a ton of practical knowledge here that a person in my shoes could probably benifit from. There are types of hunting that I feel qualified to speak on. This isn't one of them. That's all.

The most practical piece of knowledge you can get from anybody here is do not put a dog into places like that.It is not right to subject any animal to such a death.Myself like other people on here lost dogs down the years those that I dug out dead it is not nice,but i knew they were dead.Those that i could not find,it was a terrible feeling lying in bed at night thinking that animal was still alive and hoping he was not.Those places you have up in those pictures scare me just to look at them.
  • Like 1