BEATING

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES ON USING TERRIER ON ROUGH SHOOT.

ANOTHER DUMB QUESTION:- DO YOU HAVE TO CONTROL YOUR DOG ON THE WHISTLE?

MY MATE WAS ON LAST NIGHT ABOUT 2 BLOWS FOR TURN , ONE LONG ONE FOR DOWN ETC?????

WHATS THE CRACK WITH ALL THAT THEN?

CANT I JUST SHOUT HIM? :laugh:

T

• 3 weeks later...

you also may find it useful to train your dog with your own whistle( mouth)..has a few times you may come across people using the same pitch dog whistle...'this can sometimes confuse the young dog.'but only usually happens a couple of times with the young dog...then they learn to distinguish your whistle pitch amongst others of the same pitch..

Whilst training my ESS I started off with voice commands,with a hand signal, once he grasped this I threw in the whisle................now for instance he will sit to a verbal command...........a hand signal...or a whistle. (not at the same time)

The benefit of this obviously is if I loose my whistle...he can respond to my voice........and if he cant hear me...he can respond to a hand signal..........

Granted...........I am in the early stages of training, but this is something I intend to carry on with.

Going back to the original post.......if you intend to uses your dog for picking up, or FT work then the whistle is a must.......directing you dog as you feel fit to dropped game, or indeed to flushing is the idea.

You dont have to trial or pick up just to use a whistle.Verbal & hand signal are the start as stated but verbal & hand are the foundation of it all & will alway's be used in every day walk or work of a dog.I use more verbal & hand when working close & whistle for comming back or distance work put i persnoaly need to work more on this with my dog's as my standerd's of dog has dropped.I also use a extream comand that my dog's know is a must to listen to or else it's a discreat fessst or pisst.I have used this & it work's for me in & a round gun's or walking into pond's etc & your dog in front quite close to get them to heel.Seen many owner's whistle or call dog's & opertunity's lost or drive's ruened because of human voice when later in season or wild or jumpy game.