hi all im currently looking at a rew rifle a .17hmr but i can decide which to go for. its ever a cz 455 or a hw60j tried a sako but it didnt feel right. any help or sugesstion would be good. and what scope. was looking at redfield

thanks andrew

I use an Anschutz 1517 with a 14" barrel and DM80 moderator topped by a Nikon Monarch 8-32 x 50 scope.

In the light of experience I suggest buy something with a short barrel as it is much more convenient and every bit as accurate.

The DM80 is more expensive than SAK but having used both I would choose the DM80 for HMR every time.

Do get a good scope and it must have side parallax adjustment. Something that zooms to about 24x is ideal but not less than 16x, my 32x scope is going a bit too far.

I only know CZ and Anschutz, both are excellent and I have no reason to doubt the accuracy or build quality of other makes. The Anschutz is good "out of the box" but CZ is improved with a trigger kit but don't be put off by that, it is only a few quid and quick and simple for anyone to fit.

Heavy or light barrel - personal choice, I have both and light is, well, lighter - but it depends what is available to you.

You will need a cleaning rod and bore guide, Dewey is very good with patches, do use a bore guide. I have a bore snake but choose not to use it, I don't like the bronze brush insert or the risk of it rounding the edge of my barrel.

Buy a box of each make of ammo and spend a few hours shooting targets to find which make it likes (groups best) then buy lots of the same batch.

Go to a shop that has a good choice of rifles for you to shoulder, buy one that feels comfortable and fits as well as it can.

There are a lot of people on here that shoot CZ, so maybe that tells you something :thumbs:

Scope wise something with a good high powered zoom, Hawke, Bushnel, I dont know much about the Redfield scopes.

i shoot CZ's have 3 of them and dont believe every thing you are told about CZ triggers...they aint as bad as every one makes them out to be and a lot of people who go on about them have never shot one....and the triggers on the 455 are even better out of the box...people only buy anshutz .imho. for the name if you want to spend close to a grand on a gun that is no more or less accurate than any of the others on the market then go ahead....if you go the CZ route strip the stock and take the spring at the back of the trigger of and grind 2 coils of it...it will lighten it and take any creep there might be out...not all CZ triggers have a creep in them,,,i will say though the DM80 is blood good.

the HW is also a cracking rifle.

paul

You won't go wrong with a rilfe that fits you and 'feels' [bANNED TEXT] as you have said, as for the scope IMO I don't like big high mag scope's especially for small cal rifle's, I feel that you are always trying to 'out shoot' the rifle that way. We've got a hawke (can't rember which model) 3-9x40 cheap and cheerful you don'd need a big fancy scope for shooting rabbits at 150y, perfectly easy with 8x indeed. As for a mod SAK once again may be not the best available on the market now-a-days but cheap and cheerful, easily strip-able and easy to clean.

All The Best

cz hmr triggers are rough as feck , but for a tenner you can get the trigger kit of ebay and have it fitted in 10 mins , transforms the rifle

Have to agree with this.

Know 2 people who have CZ452 and have shot both with and without the trigger kit.

Believe me its the best £10 you will spend on the rifle.