Air Rifle, Lewis and Clark

Thinking of air rifles, I think of my Dad's Red Rider from the 1930's he passed on to my brother and I back in the 1960's, and also of the Red Ryders that are still made today and found under Christmas trees. I never knew air rifles were manufactured way back in the late 1700's. Heres a good video by the Firearms Curator at the National Rifle Association's National Firearm Museum here in Virginia, USA. Amazing how one rifle protected these men in the wilderness from being overtaken by the native people, and enabled these men to add so much to our history.

Enjoy,

Rich

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Rich/Tailfeathers and welcome from England!

I have been fascinated by the Lewis and Clark expedition and the Girandoni air rifle. A friend of mine here posted up a vid of it too. The hammer was, I think purely for aesthetics, in keeping with the appearance of conventional flintlock powder and ball muskets of the day. Though of course, it lacked the Frizzen and fusepowder priming pan. It was a beautiful piece of precision gunsmithing and an astonishing weapon for it's day, firing a 46-calibre ball from a tubular side press-magazine of 22. I read somewhere how just one of these rifles held off an attack of over 40 native indians during the trek.

It's basically all there as a modern pre-charged air rifle is recognised today, even with a detachable, flask air-bottle doubling as the buttstock. I'd love to know what its muzzle energy and ball velocity read on a chrono!

I think it is one of the most beautiful works of gunsmithing art I've ever seen.

Thanks for posting it here

Simon

• 4 months later...