How do these rate nowadays

Hi I am returning to field sports after a long break.Ive been shooting a few times but am completely out of touch the scene.

I have kept most of my airguns and a couple of shot guns(still licenced).

I was wandering how the air guns rated against what you guys are using now,the first gun I have is a Titan pre charged pneumatic .22 with a carbine barrel,I loved this gun the second I first saw it.Is so small brilliant for shooting rats in chicken sheds and other tight spaces,tho Ive been told the longer version was the better gun,I bought the Titan new in the early ninety's can't remember how much but it seemed like a small fortune.Before I this I had a BSA airsporter plenty of power but it used to chuck its scopes off about every 50 shots.Trading up to a pre charged was like a dream I could actually get groups where the pellet went through the same hole.

The second gun a mate of mine just gave me for helping him out its a Daystate that he bought in the eighty's pre charged that's just about all he knows,just about the whole gun is made of solid brass,any Ideas.

Thanks Graham

Both very nice guns. It would be worth sending them off to a competent gunsmith to get all the seals checked, and give them a good service, but either will be far more accurate than you are.

The Titan was a very good rifle. Is yours the single shot? They are maybe slightly heavier than the "state of the art" and you might get a few more shots from a modern rifle, but the difference isn't as much as you'd think.

As for the Daystate, well, there's a name to conjur with. Daystate are the Rolls Royce of air rifles. It might be heavy, but it'll do you proud accuracy wise, and seeing the Daystate name on it will have people in the know oohing and aahing!

Of course, you could sell them both and use the money to get yourself a top notch modern rifle and scope setup. I know people who would do just that. Personaly I really enjoy getting good results from old technology, and those two should do the job admirably!

I can't believe you were GIVEN a Daystate! :icon_eek: Why don't I have any friends that generous? :(

Get pics of them up, and someone will be able to identify the Daystate for you.

Hi

If the Daystate has a brass compression tube and a square ish breech then it's likely to be a Midas Huntsman model. Swp will be on the side of the breech. Two types of trigger were available, std and match. The match trigger has a straight brass blade and two stage release. A simple solid rifle.

neil

Edited by stillair1

Hi thanks for the replies guys,can't believe my Titan is still up there,she still holds pressure well and have tested on a guy from works chrono using HWS supperpoint at 11.48 ft lbs,I bet the tins of pellets I've got are over twenty years old too what pellet would you recommend now.

The daystate has a swp3000 stamped on it it has a brass two stage trigger,I have just tried gassing it up it seems to leek from just about every conceivable place.

When I say I was given this gun I spent several days clearing about 3 acers of land from trees and undergrowth.Admittedly I now have enough logs to get me through next winter but I was supposed to be paid as well may mate offed me the the daystate and a 036 Stihl chain saw.When I saw the all brass build I thought it had to be something special.

Has any one got any Idea what this gun would be worth in good working order.

Thanks Graham.

Hi thanks for the replies guys,can't believe my Titan is still up there,she still holds pressure well and have tested on a guy from works chrono using HWS supperpoint at 11.48 ft lbs,I bet the tins of pellets I've got are over twenty years old too what pellet would you recommend now.

The daystate has a swp3000 stamped on it it has a brass two stage trigger,I have just tried gassing it up it seems to leek from just about every conceivable place.

When I say I was given this gun I spent several days clearing about 3 acers of land from trees and undergrowth.Admittedly I now have enough logs to get me through next winter but I was supposed to be paid as well may mate offed me the the daystate and a 036 Stihl chain saw.When I saw the all brass build I thought it had to be something special.

Has any one got any Idea what this gun would be worth in good working order.

Thanks Graham.

Graham, the "SWP3000" refers to the safe pressure capacity of the air cylinder (Standard/Safe Working Pressure 3000psi).

A Stihl chainsaw AND a Daystate, sounds well worth a few days work that!

The saw, in good nick, has gotta be around the £300 mark, the gun could be around the same. AND you got free firewood! I'm not surprised the guy refused to pay you! ;)

Seriously though, sounds like you did a good deal.

Thats OK Graham, I did not know if you had a holiday cottage in Burnham (Chelsea) Market, the village of Burnham Market is known locally as Chelsea on Sea due to the prevalence of holiday cottages owned by the rich and (in)famous there, Amanda Holden for one...