you can get eels anytime of the year in most fishing waters ive caught loads in yorkshire they are a pest when your fishing :wallbash:

Nothing wrong with Eel,some of us target the specimens.

i assume you return them alive and hook free. :big_boss:

Not to mention they are getting rarer. The uk record of 11lb odd,has been standing since 1978,thats got to say something. I had one 6lb+,it was a beast and would be bigger now as it was bout 3 years ago.

As far as I'm aware eels have been fished heavily for years with no big impact on the numbers I read that there's a disease which effects the float bubble which prevents those that return to the sargasso sea from decending to the depths they need to spawn.I know I've been setting traps in all sorts of places for 4 years and never caught one yet lol

Where's the best place for eel traps?rivers,bogs,loughs,canals etc and what time of year can ye start getting them?thanks

far as i remember fykes were set may/june summertime as they start to come back from the sea start off in tidal estuarys

hematob worm eats there swim bladder and the can't return over the continental shelf. im sure thats wat it is. lough neaghs good for them may-july-ish. have to find a good spot to sett them. we get loads. rod and traps :thumbs:

hematob worm eats there swim bladder and the can't return over the continental shelf. im sure thats wat it is. lough neaghs good for them may-july-ish. have to find a good spot to sett them. we get loads. rod and traps :thumbs:

Ye that sounds more like it muddog new I read something lol swim bladders the word I was looking for.what bait do ye use in the traps?

Ye that sounds more like it muddog new I read something lol swim bladders the word I was looking for.what bait do ye use in the traps?

usually dead cats ha ha :lol::lol:

nah seriously pal we use fish, pike bait that would't be the freshest. i'm sure if you put a thread up you'll get some good ideas as what to bait them with. if your gonna put them on the lough make sure its well out of the way and make sure you don't tell ANYONE were they are or that u've sett them. were ok we have a boat and can get into wee spots noone else can. had a few taken by the man on the patrol boat. if he see's our marker floating, usually a small stick, he watches it to see if it floats along with the current. if not he knows its attached to a trap and lifts it. i prefer catching them on the rods anyway mate. we catch hundreds every summer at night down in town here up to 4lbs in weight. keep any good ones for the pan and keep a few for pike bait, throw the rest back. it's good crack my wee lad loves it. atb.........mudd.......

It's now illegal to take an freshwater eels in the UK, if you where going to I would not set a trap as if anyone stumbles across it your lightly to get a very big fine.

so i believe mate :thumbs: though we work away and so does a lot more of the bigger outfits. we won't be doing them much harm with the rods and a few traps sett every know and then.

Where's the best place for eel traps?rivers,bogs,loughs,canals etc and what time of year can ye start getting them?thanks

far as i remember fykes were set may/june summertime as they start to come back from the sea start off in tidal estuarys

Lost £2000 worth of nets last year f*****g bailifs.

You have to make that extra bit of effort to get into certain spots well out of the way that no one else will venture into. No traps left unattended are ever safe but if you find it hard to get in somewhere to sett them, chances are no one else will be bothered going so far to find a trap! If you get my drift! Lol