87 grain V-Max

some shot with them but i wouldn't recommend it personally, try the 95g sst, they are built for the job and accurate,

the jacket and core are not designed for mushrooming on impact, but rather to explode, you could be lucky and not have a problem

but maybe you just might and the deer may run, i tried the wrong bullet once, and never will again...

It might be worth saying that load would be spot on for neck/head shots but obviously to save arguments I am not advocating that practice :thumbs:

I was going to +1 you on that mate, i use them in my 6br they are so accurate its just not funny .1s,but they are a varmint round, so maybe best left at that..... 32.2 grs of Varget does the trick with MY 6br

If I am not mistaken thats a varmit head, check on the manufactures site. If it is it not suitable, I have a friend who tried the same round on a Roe, he got away with it a couple of times then he didnt. He hit a Roe in the chest and it ran off at speed. He found it 2 days later with a dog, the bullet had shatter on impact causing a large but shallow wound, it was fly blown and full of maggaots, he wa not happy with himself for he felt extremely bad about the sheer misery he had caused the deer. He now will not use the same bullet or any other of the wrong construction, he made a mistake and admitted it, so others could learn.

I use them for everything and they aren't as fragile as people on this board make them out to be. I have shot foxes and rowe with them and both drop to the spot every time - I prefer neck shots as my stalking is always on the edge of thick woods but when I do shoot heart/lung I have no issues (have knocked a few ribs out before without any 'surface explosions). The round is very efficient at delivering energy, hydrostaic shock kills very quickly!

I understand what your saying Dan but the bullet I am pretty sure is a varnit round, hence why you use it for fox, the bullet is highly explosive (as described by Hornady on their site ) which means it isnt intended to act as a soft point or other deer bullet would do, that is controlled expansion.I use the same bullet on fox from time to time and it makes a mess of them, the reason why is it is designed to blow apart and cause maximum trauma. If you hit a deer with one in the wrong place it has the potential to cause injury to the deer. For example with Muntjac it would start to expand to soon as Muntjac for their size have an extremley tought skin.

I am not knocking you or anyone else who uses such bullets but just be aware thats all, I do agree though if your doing neck shots it would be a good choice as.

I understand what your saying Dan but the bullet I am pretty sure is a varnit round, hence why you use it for fox, the bullet is highly explosive (as described by Hornady on their site ) which means it isnt intended to act as a soft point or other deer bullet would do, that is controlled expansion.I use the same bullet on fox from time to time and it makes a mess of them, the reason why is it is designed to blow apart and cause maximum trauma. If you hit a deer with one in the wrong place it has the potential to cause injury to the deer. For example with Muntjac it would start to expand to soon as Muntjac for their size have an extremley tought skin.

I am not knocking you or anyone else who uses such bullets but just be aware thats all, I do agree though if your doing neck shots it would be a good choice as.

you are right that the 87g v-max is a varmint round, And whoever shoots them will get away for so long even neck shooting

but if anyone using them has any regard for the deer they hunt then they would change to a bullet suitable for deer, and NOT a varmint round.

ATB.

Snap.

Thats exactly why I only use Soft points (pro hunters for roe and munti or soft point partitions for larger deer) I know if they make contact they will punch straight into the deer ,expand and go out the other side leaving a hole and a blood trail. Your in a world of hurt if the poor deer runs off.