Broken tail

Hay everyone

My 3 month old patterdale broke her tail messing about with the other dogs (got flattened by a bull cross going flat out!) I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions what to do with it or will it just heal on its own?

Cheers

take her to the vet.

Hay everyone

My 3 month old patterdale broke her tail messing about with the other dogs (got flattened by a bull cross going flat out!) I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions what to do with it or will it just heal on its own?

Cheers

take her to the vet.

take to the vet maybe take it of

It will only heal on its own providing the bones are not displaced or shattered and there is no external wound. If they are shattered then infection could set in leading to gangrene etc. If you do leave it to heal on its own then you'll need to keep the dog very quiet: caged? Also, depending on where the break is, it could heal with a bad kink and a lump in it, not that it would be a problem to the dog.

tape the tail up with a tongue depresser or dowel rod inside to keep it healing straight. unwrap every few days to check it's not infected etc. If it becomes infected give the dog antibiotics until it's healed. If it becomes REALLY bad- dock it above the break and continue the antibiotics until it has completely healed. I only take my working dogs to the vet when there is a problem I feel I can't handle. If you aren't comfortable fixing it yourself don't hesitate to seek help. good luck

tape the tail up with a tongue depresser or dowel rod inside to keep it healing straight. unwrap every few days to check it's not infected etc. If it becomes infected give the dog antibiotics until it's healed. If it becomes REALLY bad- dock it above the break and continue the antibiotics until it has completely healed. I only take my working dogs to the vet when there is a problem I feel I can't handle. If you aren't comfortable fixing it yourself don't hesitate to seek help. good luck

FFS man,are you suggesting this chap docks the 3 MONTH old pup??

dont listen to this tool,take the pp to your vet pal.

Laws are somewhat different in scotland as they are in the states and docking a 3 MONTH old with a 'POSSIBLE' broken tail :no:

FFS man,are you suggesting this chap docks the 3 MONTH old pup??

dont listen to this tool,take the pp to your vet pal.

Laws are somewhat different in scotland as they are in the states and docking a 3 MONTH old with a 'POSSIBLE' broken tail :no:

Calm down, I would only suggest docking as a very last result if the tail had shattered vertebrae, serious infection etc. Nowhere does the original poster say it's a "possible" broken tail. he says it IS broken. Obviously it's not my call- not being able to see the dog, but I would imagine the tail will heal on its own; If the owner would like the tail to heal straight- tape a stick to the tail while it heals. that's all I'm saying. the most important part of my post is: If you aren't comfortable fixing it yourself don't hesitate to seek help. maybe that clears it up a bit?

yis

Guest RAB.MCKAY

had a greyhound bitch with broken tail .

felt tail and found bone was hanging by skin , i tied a bandage in a knot between break 4 days later tail end fell off cleaned wound and bandaged up 3 months on healed no problems granted she only lost 5 inches off tail .

might be diferent for smaller dogs or a diferent break .

worked for me .:thumbs: