Ratattack and a feral

rossi_j

Well guys, davy and chaz treated me to a bit of ratting last nite as I have been passing through their home turf on my way to and from work.

After ariving at davy's house, I was blindfolded and bundled into the back of chaz's 4x4 and swiftly driven to a secret location, we arrived at the farm and had a quick chat with the farmer.

the farm was set in beautiful roling wiltshire countryside, a great permission :thumbs:

First was a walk round and safety brief wich I was glad of or I could have ended up in a whole heap of s**t, literally :laugh:

First shot of the day while the sun was still up, a lone feral sat in my cross hair range, I rested on a gate took aim and MISSED!! I put it down to exitment and the pressure of performing with two skilled marksmen looking on in anticipation of an imminant kill, thats the offical line, basicaly I fluffed it :laugh: :laugh:

Luckily this shot did not set the standard for me for the night, as I got comfortable in my new surroundings with chaz and davy making me feel very welcome :thumbs:

As the night drew in the rats came out to play, a couple were spoted as dusk turned to night before long I was being show hot spots and drawn into the thick of it letting lead fly left right and centre, one thing I quickly realised was rats can take some punishment and not realise they are dead carrying on for maybe 6ft with shots to the vitals, it was crazy :)

So many great shots and clean kills, there is no way I could document it.

Some moments I will remember. . .

Chaz, with a clean neck shot from his chosen resting post overlooking a pile of tyres and a pallet at a rough 35yds (where he took a few more also)

Davy, opening fire on numerous rats on a big pile of something or other for me to flick the lamp on it to find rats belly up (ur never sure what davy is up to or where he is for that matter, when he has turned into n.v assasin mode :laugh: )

A shot I made from 35yds for the rat to go down then scurry of and pause for a moment where chaz nailed him (teamwork) :thumbs:

A rat I caught sat on a rock next to poo pond, grooming and preparing himself for permanant departure, stedied myself on a post, 30yds bang on cross hairs, smack! Now just a tail poking out from behind that rock remains.

Davy screaching upstairs in the grain store as the hunter became the hunted :laugh:

The cheeky little rat that crept up me in the grain store, only giving itself away by poking its head out of the box section and having a sniff of me, I turned to the noise to find myself face to face with the nasty thing then scurried away (me not the rat :laugh: ).

The feral I managed to bag in the grain store, wich I have convinced myself it was the one I missed erlier (to console myself)

I started collecting the rats for a pic but gave up after 8 as there was great sport to be had all around me and wanted to waste no time on this opertunity davy and chaz gave me to have a amazing nights shooting in great company wich I thouroughly enjoyed and cant thank them enough for.

The toatal confirmed kills was around 20 with many more definatly dead but untraceable.

Sory dident get any pics lads I was just so to into the rats, its so fast and varied (im hooked) :laugh:

Some of my fondest shooting memories were forged last nite and some of my scaryest and smellest also :laugh:

Thanks for having me guys :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Just read it back, I realy cant do it justice so mutch great shooting and action, I could wite about it for days, when i got home I felt the need to talk my mrs throgh every moment :laugh: went to sleep with rats on the brain, I was buzzing :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Thanks guys.

Si, that was my first taste of proper ratting, I can see why there are some junkies among us :laugh:

Chaz, thanks for having me true gent, always a pleasure to be around :thumbs:

Andy, yea it is a cracking permision, It would be great to come over and see you :thumbs: I might get a bit of a rep for getting around though :laugh:

Thanks danny and r488it it was a great night.

Steve, nice one, thats great news been working on a couple for us gloucester lads myself but no luck yet, its nice to see the endless letters and research has paid off, got a couple of polite replies today but still a no :(.

Be nice for us to have somewhere to go without outside interference from people.

Give me a ring if you fancy poping out for a mooch.

Hey tb, watching the terriers work would be good, I wouldent want them to have all the fun tho :thumbs:

.atb. .ste.

Couldnt agree with you more. :thumbs:

post-45526-0-89199500-1298711650_thumb.jpg

Nice write up.

Love ratting, but as mentioned above, you can't beat watching the terriers go to work.

Sib

I agree terriers would be good to work, still havent seen terriers take rats running along beams in roof and box section at head height or running along walls 6ft of the floor, a terrier and a rifle would compliment each other very well in my opinion :thumbs:

Each doing there own job.

.atb. .ste.