whippets

does anyone on here, use a whippet, for there hunting?

because, i know a lad who wants to get his working and a few people are telling me not to take him, because the dog might brake its leg. i dont want to dissapoint the lad hes only 8/9 years old

so im a bit stuck on what to do.

cheers sash

Guest drummer

whippets are fantastic little dogs(iv never owned one but have seen them hunt) for rabbits and hares, should you hunt them? well ofcourse you should THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE FOR, is there a chance the dog will get injured? yes ofcourse there is, but thems the risks you take, lets face it there is a chance we could get run over every time we set foot out the door, but you still do it, i think the questions that should be asked is DOES THE YOUNG LAD UNDERSTAND THE RISKS? CAN HE HANDLE IT IF SOMETHING DOES GO WRONG? AND DOES HE OR HIS FAMILY HAVE THE MONEY TO GET THE DOG THE PROPER TREATMENT IF THE WORST DOES HAPPEN? whippets are alot tougher and robust than they look and if off good working lines can usually handle the normal rough and tumble of a days hunting

I never saw a whippet work until a couple of weeks ago when they were cutting the maize where i work .As the rabbits were bolting this whippet was snatching them up like no ones buissnes,now this dog hadnt caught any rabbits until that day and his owner is over the moon with him.

• 2 weeks later...