Shortest barrel length?

so cut it down yourself.

:thumbdown:

Can you do that? Or is it stupidly hard metal to cut?

I'm guessing it could be done because of all these criminals with 'sawn offs'

24 and a quarter is the legal minimum length for a shot gun not 24 inch.

Not sure where the 1/4" comes from Sage, I was just going by the Firearms Act,

a shot gun within the meaning of this Act, that is to say a smooth-bore gun (not being an air gun) which—

(i)

has a barrel not less than 24 inches in length and does not have any barrel with a bore exceeding 2 inches in diameter;

Maybe it would be hasty, but why wouldn't you?

Have you seen a shotgun barrel explode? I was standing three guns up when I witnessed the event, it's not nice. My advise would be to simply get rid of the gun. Chances are it's going to be full choke, lopping off 6" of barrel is going to remove all the choking and the guns going to be next to useless. Sometimes I think we can simply all swim up stream, instead of going with the current and I think this is one of them occasions where the gun is either sold and replaced with a more suitable gun or simply retired to the cabinet. Pump actions are selling at auction for £15 to £40 so it's no great loss and a lot cheaper than the loss of a hand!

John

Now I'm really puzzled, granted and exploding shotgun would spoil anyones day but shrtening the barrel is not going to increace the chances of anything going wrong. Your right about the loss of choke of course but for shot range use in the woods theat may be an advantage.

Imperial 24" = Metric 60.96cm. The law says "24" or 60 cm". Err on the safe side, cut to just over 24". If you hacksaw it down to 24+a bit, file or coarse emery round the inside to get rid of the sharp edges. FFS we're not talking about recrowning a target rifle here!

What's the shortest length barrel your allowed by law? I'm fed up with not being able to 'swing' when rough shooting, its about 32in ATM I'm going to get it chopped.

You can't 'cut down' a multichoke shotgun barrel, as you rightly have already noticed the end is threaded.

Anyway the barrels are soldered together and the top rib has a finished end.

Just trade it in for something else if your not happy, cos chopping bits off will make it worth nothing,

and will invalidate the proof marks.

By the way the long barrels are there to improve the swing not stop it, if you try a shorter gun you may

find that your not so bad off anyway, by far and away the most popular clay guns these days are 30", but a lot of

older guns will be 28".

Put that hacksaw away, you can cut a bit off but you can't cut a bit back on!

AndyF

Why would shortening the barrel lead to it blowing up? (there is no answer to this question)

I can't answer that, but personly i'd have it re-proofed just incase.

Dan, if i was you I'd just invest in a second gun unless you can deal with a open choke, a single or double barrel gun is about 4" shorter than a pump or semi with the same length barrel.

another thought is if its a mossberg you might even find a spare barrel.