PILLAR BEDDING THE WEATHERBY VANGUARD

PILLAR BEDDING THE WEATHERBY VANGUARD .243

THE STRESS FREE METHOD

So, I thought I’d share with you my method for stress free bedding the Weatherby vanguard. I bought this rifle as a dual purpose varmint/deer rifle that I could also use for informal long range target shooting (mainly for hunting practice).

Prior to doing anything to the rifle I had tested its accuracy at the range with different factory ammo. It seemed to like Hornadys Superformance ammo best shooting the 95gr SST’s at just over 2’’ at 200yds. It was a windy day and the horizontal spread was where groups really opened up. The rest of the factory ammo grouped around 1 ½’’ at 100yds, (as Weatherby rifles should!).

So…here’s the rifle sans bedding with the original plastic stock (I believe made by ‘Uncle Mikes’).

w1.jpg

After the Boyds pepper laminate stock arrived, initial inspections showed it to be very well constructed and much better than I anticipated, the action dropped in like a glove and it feels very solid.

In the picture you can see the recoil lug recess, I have used marker pen to highlight areas to be relieved.

w2.jpg

Using a ¼’’ chisel I have removed about 1/16th – 1/8th to allow adequate thickness of bedding compound under the action, I also removed just over 1/8th of stock material from behind the recoil lug for the same reason.

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

After that I set to work centering the barrel in the fore end of the stock, this was achieved by wrapping layers of electrical tape around the barrel until it fits snug in the channel. Use equal layers of tape each side, start at the top and finish at the top.

w5.jpg

Now we’re ready to relieve the action screw holes in the stock to allow the pillars to fit, for this I am using a drill press borrowed from a friend.

w7.jpg

After…

[bANNED TEXT].jpg

The pillars I used were cunningly disguised as brass pipe nipples at the local hardware center! (Rona). At just over $2 each it made a cheap alternative to having them sent from the states.

w10.jpg

Here they are next to the slightly oversized drill bit.

w11.jpg

I cut them to size by offering up a hack saw blade to them as they spun in the chuck (no I didn’t saw them Ryan!)

w12.jpg

After…

w13.jpg

I then kissed them against a flat file in the press and finally some fine grit sand paper on a block of hard wood.

w15.jpg

Measuring where to cut.

w14.jpg

What they will look like inside the stock.

w16.jpg

You can see slight clearance around the pillars for compound thickness and to prevent the stock imparting any stress to the pillars and screws.

w18.jpg

I’m centering the screws in the pillars here using very thin clear tape. Ideally the screws shouldn’t be touching the pillars when screwed into the action preventing the screws from having anything to do with absorbing recoil. Stress free screws!

w19.jpg

Allow enough tape build up so the pillars fit on tight, then trim the excess with a craft knife.

w20.jpg

Now, moving on the action…..

Here I’m taping the vertical sides of the action to allow ease of removal in the future, it seems the forging process has imparted a slight dimpled texture to this part and each tiny imperfection will lead to mechanical lock. I didn’t show it in the pic but I continued the cut line of the tape to allow the sides of the recoil lug to fit snug in the action.

w21.jpg

I’m building up a dam here to stop the compound from going further up the channel. The dam stops as the barrel tapers into it’s ‘sporter’ contour.

w22.jpg

Taping the sides of the stock, it’d be rude not to.

w23.jpg

As well as using coarse sand paper on the side of the pillar I have cut small ridges into the pillar for extra mechanical lock. It is my opinion that most ready made pillars have too much material removed from them in order to achieve mechanical lock, this reduces the compression strength of the pillar, I’d much rather have just enough material removed from the pillar without compromising strength.

w24.jpg

The compound I have chosen is JB Weld, a lot of people don’t use it because they believe something this readily available can’t be as good as Devcon, Marine Tex, Steel Bed etc. if you look at the differences between them regarding strength and shrinkage, they are all practically the same. The pros tend not to use JB Weld mainly because it only comes in small amounts making it the least cost effective if you bed rifles as part of your living.

w26.jpg

Something that I wanted to try was to apply the compound straight onto the action after applying the release agent (Kiwi shoe polish buffed to a mirror shine), that way I could avoid unsightly voids in the compound from air bubbles.

w27.jpg

Of course I add compound to the stock too!

w28.jpg

After pressing the action home, clean up involves using q-tips and acetone.

w29.jpg

Once cleaned up, I tape the stock and action with electrical tape over the rear scope ring. At this point the only part of the barreled action contacting the stock is the tape at the tip of the forend and a small amount of material left in the tang area to allow the action to index in the stock to the correct depth. I intentionally don’t tape the front part of the action or barrel because this will allow the whole thing to bow slightly inducing a small amount of stress – something we want to avoid.

w30.jpg

After popping out the action (it was really easy, nothing but Kiwi polish from now on!), I cleaned the edges with a craft knife.

w32.jpg

w35.jpg

w36.jpg

Here it is all together…

w37.jpg

I think it went really well, I have done bedding jobs before and every time I do one I learn something new each time. This time I believe I got it almost perfect and I’m happy with the end product. I have since bedded the scope rings to the scope (I can post pics if anyone is interested) and tuned the trigger for less weight and zero creep.

Soon I will post results from the range and we’ll find out if it shoots any better.

Thanks.

Phil

• Like 1

It does look good, did you chec accuracy in the new stock before bedding?

Halam

I didn't bother to check for the simple reason that even if it was more accurate in the new stock, that accuracy wouldn't be as repeatable. Bedding with pillars is all about repeatable accuracy. I have never had a rifle without pillars or aluminium bedding block hold zero after removing the stock for cleaning or inspection. Every time you put the stock back on the amount of torque you put on the action screws varies slightly, this changes the way the barrel vibrates which means the next time you go to shoot it, it may be slightly high and slightly left or any number of variations. Accuracy may be the same, slightly better or slightly worse.

Pillars + bedding or aluminium bedding blocks try to eliminate these inconsistencies.

That reason and I like bedding rifles too!

Phil

Very nice job there. I'm getting up the courage to float the barrel on my old Parker Hale .243, it touches most of the way down the barrel at the moment, and it changes the POI with temperature and humidity. I guess I could bed it with the barrel floating, using the tape method, but I've never bedded a rifle before, knowing my luck I'd probably manage to stick the action in the stock!

Very nice job there. I'm getting up the courage to float the barrel on my old Parker Hale .243, it touches most of the way down the barrel at the moment, and it changes the POI with temperature and humidity. I guess I could bed it with the barrel floating, using the tape method, but I've never bedded a rifle before, knowing my luck I'd probably manage to stick the action in the stock!

Using Kiwi shoe polish you'll be just fine, I used only one application of wax before buffing to a shine and it popped out using 2 fingers on the barrel and 2 fingers on the stock!

If you have any questions let me know, the parker hale is a great rifle, I had the opportunity to buy one a few months back and now I'm kicking myself!

Phil