A TRUE WORKING TERRIER!!!

Hi, anythingoes , I used to read a lot of posts about you,you're lurchers and days out with the terriers( wish there were more post of that sort of honest or real days activities) even out with the ferret or a few hours for rabbits, were you not in the lamping competition at one stage?

Sadly what you now tend to find as I'm sure you're aware there are to many young uns with the KILLER type dogs IE , TYSON, BUTCH, JAWS, were the true origin of working stock has been lost apart from the kill , kill ,kill factor!!

anyhow,In regards to the the "book" in which you have read (possible by David Hardcome)

there are alot of interesting points raised in it apart from the paragraph to which you refer.

my opinion is of that ,terriers should not solely be bread for shows but for a job below ground if you get a looker who does you a turn ,than hey get it to a show in the summer,its a bit of fun and as most shows go , most folk know each other and there dogs ability. so that's the workers from the showers put to bed i would hope , but it did raise an eyebrow.

YIS

SS

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all , it's been a while since I've been on as some of you are aware , hope use haven't missed me to much .   Any how been doing a bit of reading and came across this in a truly interestin

if you check I'm a lurcher man who owns a few well bread terriers ,its not got to lose a jaw ,just to be a proven true working terrier ,all it has to do is keep it ata bay, till it getts a hand, now

went to a " working " dog show were the winning terrier was taking to a sett ! if shows like this were about more for genuine terrier men ther wouldn be so much dirt atb artful

went to a " working " dog show were the winning terrier was taking to a sett !

if shows like this were about more for genuine terrier men ther wouldn be so much dirt :whistling:

atb artful

sadly that doesn't happen at these parts but it would be good to help out with some control at an earth as a prize ,sadly thats not the case :cry::cry: , but again it's a good day out and to meet the genuine folk , but again the post is about raising a terrier for show and to call it a worker without beeing in the dark :hmm:

does it mean it has to do all , be smashed up or work for the reason it was bread and posibly more ? :hmm:

a good wank hmmmm//

I was asked to judge (working terrier) shows many times before and I never did and thought I never would.

But this one is surely so informal and innocent that no one will care for the result.

Being a judge is a very ungrateful job anyway because no one ever agrees with you except for the winner.

And what's the fuss about it? Working terrier people should not find a show important because no dog there is proving anything.

I don't want to actively take part in the downfall of the working terrier by judging shows and having to let the most beautiful (perfect looking) specimens win so people are tempted to breed from those, which are mostly not the best workers, if they have seen any work at all. These good lookers all carry show shit blood which goes to the cost of their nose, good sense, gameness and overall hunting ability.

We all know that many of the best workers don't look perfect even if they have no scars. If you want to breed the most useful workers you cannot select on perfect looks, it's either one or the other.

I had one very ugly bitch (she looked a good and promising duckling when she was young, but grew out into an ugly swan) and she had just about all the shortcomings a terrier can have in looks but she worked well for me 8 years. And I tolerated and liked her because she worked so well. And if I'd have a looker which wouldn't work or wouldn't work well enough I will certainly sell it to the pretenders. Anyway I won't keep it.

I've read that in Britain, the working terrier shows seduce people to put show shit into their bloodlines of working terriers. After all, so many more people have terriers than there is work for them and most of them want to sell puppies to a market of people who sort of want to share in the glory but are not intending to work their pet terriers.

Because of this development, the real terrier people are complaining they can't find a proper worker anymore.

How can this be, with all the terriers over there?

Even working terrier shows are taken way too seriously by most of the participants, (except of course by those few who really work theirs) because there is a ready group of puppie buyers.

Of course a dog does not have to be damaged to be a good worker but mine can't do the job, especially to wild boar, by only baying. They don't get them out of the bush by just baying. And because of the amount of work my terriers get (50 and more days a year, sometimes finding and fighting and flushing 40 or 50 boars in one day and in between also foxes and badgers above and below) it is inevitable that they get the scar here and there.

Usually the badgers I work, take something out of a terrier. Physically and mentally. I know there are terriers able to work badger and end up undamaged, fair play to them, mine don't.

• Like 2

I was asked to judge (working terrier) shows many times before and I never did and thought I never would.

But this one is surely so informal and innocent that no one will care for the result.

Being a judge is a very ungrateful job anyway because no one ever agrees with you except for the winner.

And what's the fuss about it? Working terrier people should not find a show important because no dog there is proving anything.

I don't want to actively take part in the downfall of the working terrier by judging shows and having to let the most beautiful (perfect looking) specimens win so people are tempted to breed from those, which are mostly not the best workers, if they have seen any work at all. These good lookers all carry show shit blood which goes to the cost of their nose, good sense, gameness and overall hunting ability.

We all know that many of the best workers don't look perfect even if they have no scars. If you want to breed the most useful workers you cannot select on perfect looks, it's either one or the other.

I had one very ugly bitch (she looked a good and promising duckling when she was young, but grew out into an ugly swan) and she had just about all the shortcomings a terrier can have in looks but she worked well for me 8 years. And I tolerated and liked her because she worked so well. And if I'd have a looker which wouldn't work or wouldn't work well enough I will certainly sell it to the pretenders. Anyway I won't keep it.

I've read that in Britain, the working terrier shows seduce people to put show shit into their bloodlines of working terriers. After all, so many more people have terriers than there is work for them and most of them want to sell puppies to a market of people who sort of want to share in the glory but are not intending to work their pet terriers.

Because of this development, the real terrier people are complaining they can't find a proper worker anymore.

How can this be, with all the terriers over there?

Even working terrier shows are taken way too seriously by most of the participants, (except of course by those few who really work theirs) because there is a ready group of puppie buyers.

Of course a dog does not have to be damaged to be a good worker but mine can't do the job, especially to wild boar, by only baying. They don't get them out of the bush by just baying. And because of the amount of work my terriers get (50 and more days a year, sometimes finding and fighting and flushing 40 or 50 boars in one day and in between also foxes and badgers above and below) it is inevitable that they get the scar here and there.

Usually the badgers I work, take something out of a terrier. Physically and mentally. I know there are terriers able to work badger and end up undamaged, fair play to them, mine don't.

I know that you see this as a innocent show, but nevertheless a show. And even here you will get people who will value their first place as a ticket to breed. You do not controll all people who will attend your showring.

As said I do not mind these days as they can be fun(and meet people), but I mind people who got placed with their PRETTY dog and value because of this their NON worker above a seasoned veteran. And offcourse all the idiots who stand in line for a stud of one of those dogs.

But I will also be their probably with the family to have a look ;)

Greetings,

Frank70

IMO terriers are earth dogs and this is where they should be tested and judged.

Yes shows are a bit of fun but when a dog starts winning regular and people are offering silly money for stud / pups greed overtakes and I'm afraid working ability takes a back seat. :thumbdown:

well i mus say I'm glad it's not just me ho has had a think about this :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

IMO terriers are earth dogs and this is where they should be tested and judged.

Yes shows are a bit of fun but when a dog starts winning regular and people are offering silly money for stud / pups greed overtakes and I'm afraid working ability takes a back seat. :thumbdown:

:thumbs:

show'S DONT effect working terriers people do , WORKKING terriers evolve its up to you what you breed/buy

nothing wrong in showing terriers , loads get upset by them dont go if they wind you up , as long

as your own do what you want them to and they reach the standed you want , why worry about others

Edited by gonetoearth

show'S DONT effect working terriers people do , WORKKING terriers evolve its up to you what you breed/buy

nothing wrong in showing terriers , loads get upset by them dont go if they wind you up , as long

as your own do what you want them to and they reach the standed you want , why worry about others

rather valid point there :thumbs:

atb anythingoes

why show your work terriers they are the true GLADIATORS of all terriers and they have nowt to prove in a softy softy show ring with a chap that dont no one dog from anther .you ant going win because he will always put his mates dog out in front of your so whats the f*****G point :wallbash: .you could have the best dog there but if you dont go drinkin with the JUDGE forget it . work you terriers forget showing its for the girls lol

Edited by burny2011

why show your work terriers they are the true GLADIATORS of all terriers and they have nowt to prove in a softy softy show ring with a chap that dont no one dog from anther .you ant going win because he will always put his mates dog out in front of your so whats the f*****G point :wallbash: .you could have the best dog there but if you dont go drinkin with the JUDGE forget it . work you terriers forget showing its for the girls lol

well thats another oppinion , but shows are a good laugh ,its something to do in the summer, maybe you just take them to seriouse or havn't won any lmao :tongue2:

take you have won then i take it :whistling: you must have a champ dog then or you no the judge and that proves what" that one day that all terrier will have a kc papper work" and then you will never get hold of a good working terrier for love or cash in your hand so weres the fun in that :wallbash:

• Like 1

take you have won then i take it :whistling: you must have a champ dog then or you no the judge and that proves what" that one day that all terrier will have a kc papper work" and then you will never get hold of a good working terrier for love or cash in your hand so weres the fun in that :wallbash:

Can i have the names of those 3 books you have writen about ferrets pls?

my opinio is the cennell clud and show breeders have a lot to answer for.

thes people are the cause of ruiation of a lot of working dog breeds not just terriers.

i belive that thay breed the working temperement out of a dog whitch in the working terriers is a desaster and loses its fight.