Possible incoming 'pup' tomorrow

My old dog died during the Summer and seeing as how my 'young' dog is coming up to 12 (still keen to ferret and do some lamping so long as it is just the odd few), I've been looking at getting a pup. I've spent 6mths looking for an Aussie Cattle dog (Blue Heeler/Kelpie) x Greyhound as I recall a couple of these being put through some Lurcher Trials that I used to run and they were very biddable animals that looked to be tidy for working and for me obedience in the field is paramount. I know that obedience isn't everyone's top priority and I've no arguments that a lamping dog that; slips, runs and catches every time is fine if that is all you need but I like something that will walk to heel and stop on a hand signal while I shoot with the rifle/shotgun or an animal that will 'guard' one side of the dyke while I watch the other is SOOOO much easier with a dog that doesn't have it's sneck down every hole where there is a squeak. Not saying that you can't teach most dogs to do that but a dog that has a bit of brain makes life much less stressful. :laugh:

However... a call from a friend today who knows of an 11 mth old bitch going free to a good home (the money side isn't the important bit as I'd have paid good money for the right animal) has me meeting up with the owner tomorrow morning to take this young un for a mooch around the farm. I believe the owner drove down to Lancashire to get this pup and as much as I can tell it's a Beddie x G'hound, I know the owner also does a bit of ferreting and I also know enough of him that the dog won't have been spoiled (for good or bad reasons) but he's going off to the rigs and doesn't want to see the thing sitting round the house with his Mrs walking it round the local sports field for exercise.

It may not be what I originally wanted but sometimes these things are meant to be, so we'll see what tomorrow morning brings! ;)

best of luck hope it works out. i always put in 100% effort with the obedience side with dogs.not the best trainer in the world but always got there in the end.good luck.

IMHO even the most basic of obedience is better than none and I love to hear of people putting in the effort.

I wouldn't normally have even considered looking at someone else's 'cast-offs' but this seems to be a different case and I've got a gut feeling it could work out. I need to see just how headstrong this young bitch is... mind sometimes when you click with a headstrong dog and you are both in tune they can give you the best back. Will be interesting to see who is boss when I meet with the owner and dog. ;)

let us know how you get on. have a pure beddie great little marking dog for ferreting but what a little headstrong dog he was when young. but got there with patience and effort. not everyones choice for ferreting but lurchers are not allowed on the permission a terrier it had to be.

let us know how you get on. have a pure beddie great little marking dog for ferreting but what a little headstrong dog he was when young. but got there with patience and effort. not everyones choice for ferreting but lurchers are not allowed on the permission a terrier it had to be.

I got the In-Laws a 3/4 Beddie Whippet about 9-10 years ago (looks 'almost' 100% Beddie) and it can be a little bugger as a pet but when it comes to kennel with us for holidays twice a year, it makes a cracking moocher though I need to spend the first day or two sorting out who's boss; after that it falls in line with my dogs and quickly susses out what I expect :D

:thumbs:

I got the In-Laws a 3/4 Beddie Whippet about 9-10 years ago (looks 'almost' 100% Beddie) and it can be a little bugger as a pet but when it comes to kennel with us for holidays twice a year, it makes a cracking moocher though I need to spend the first day or two sorting out who's boss; after that it falls in line with my dogs and quickly susses out what I expect :D

Good luck, hope it works out ok.

What sort of activities did the lurcher trials involve?

Here's a basic trial;

1 Marking rabbit in set.

Dog must mark which pipe the rabbit skin is up.

2 Retrieve.

The dog must retrieve a dummy (fur covered or normal).

3 Hold bolted rabbit.

The handler is to place a net on a pipe, as the rabbit bolts the dog must hold the rabbit in the net.

4 Stop.

The dog is to be stopped as it returns to the handler.

5 Catch bolted rabbit.

A dummy rabbit will bolt from a pipe while the owner is behind a cammo screen for 30 seconds(the dog can see the owner but the owner can not speak to the dog), the dog must chase without verbal command.

6 Jump.

The dog is to jump a fence upon the handlers’ command.

7 Walk to heel.

Dog will be marked for heel work through-out the competition.

Though some of the disciplines aren't relevant to everyone's dog (hard to simulate a night's lamping, midday at a Country Show in the middle of a ring :D ), they do have a basis in working a Lurcher.