ferret has diarrhea any help appreciated

Hi again folks , my newly acquired hob ferret has a case of the squits, not green in colour but a light brown... has his back arched abit sometimes throughout today and is drinking as normal,even acting as the jill does (normal) :blink: any ideas of how to cure him of this as on reading up on the net and the books there again seems to be many differant opinions on the matter? sorry about this people :cry:

hi [bANNED TEXT] this week they have had a small amount of dry food, chicken wings and the hob is new so hes been fed on differant food.the jill is thriving on the diet ive had her on but since ive had the hob hes had abit of dried food,chicken wings and some carcass from the butcher :blink:

How long have you had the ferret mate ? could just be that he's not used to the food you're giving him, and if i were going to cut back on anything it would be the dried food, whats the proteen content in the food you are feeding him ? could be too hi or low I think about 30% is ideal for ferrets.

all the best

Ricky

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Squits ain't natural, Dougie, but then nor is dry feed. Chicken wings too are actually far from the very best. I've used them, at a pinch, but wasn't happy with them.

As Millet's saying ~ Think Natural. Give him what he'd eat in the wild. Dead things with everything still attatched. It's the fur and feather ('Roughage') that dries and binds his shit and makes it come out as nice, dryish black twists :good:

the dry food is fed at an extreme minimum maybe once a week just half a handfull in a bowl for something to crunch on, im varying the food but not to much, i had him a couple of days and it maybe as mentioned above that he has new surroundings/food...he seems bright in himself and isnt dehydrated at all..ive got a couple of squizzers in the freezer ready for them so they can hve them this week, also got some day old chicks so ive got a good variation so hopefully it will clear up...the hutch is new and extremely clean, infact its all been cleaned and disinfected today and sprayed out with mite spray as the hob did have a tick, both have been treated with tick treatment and fingers crossed they will be ok, the hutch is dry and damp free and no breezes what so ever, as advised im changing the bedding everyday due to the tick so im using alot of torn up newspaper ontop of a few folded sheets of paper.Then at night they get covered with a plastic sheet to stop and wind/rain so im trying me damn best to keep them happy as can be :icon_redface: might go over board on keeping them happy but a healthy animal is a happy one :)

cheers everyone, i did have a jumper in there with them but as i found the tick i binned that and will put them a new one in there in a few weeks... when they got up this morning i felt the bedding and it was suprisingly warm as they had huddled down into the newspaper shreds,a nice warm and clean bedding thats easy to change everyday :)

straw is ok mate but you would be suprised what i can pick up along its travels :cry: not as bad as hay but still a twat with the midges and mites,specially if its been in the shop for a while and picked the buggers up...just make sure its ok before you use it..... i might be trying something else out very soon....will get some pics up as soon as its made :blink:

The straw i get dougie, is clean old country straw that i veted before i get it, its also cold, so most bugs are dead right now. 2 Euro for a big bale. ;)

In the summer, i put in unprinted shredded paper, bit cooler for them. :)

Frank.

I would never use straw or hay as they can carry bugs ect in the hollow stems ,Shredded paper for the dogs and shavings for the ferrets if its getting colder just heap more in

Have been using good straw for years with ferrets in the winter, never had a problem with bugs. ;)

Frank.