barrel length/calliber size

Hi Water Badger.

If l was going for a pcp, I'd go for .177 to make use of the accuracy potential for HFT if that was something I wanted to get involved in.

Either .22 or .177 is perfect as a general hunting calibre at the kill-zone of our quarry. Barrel length is not a performance issue for reasonable hunting ranges.

ATB

Simon

The barrel length makes no difference in overall performance. A shorter barrel may need more air to accelerate the pellet to the required velocity, so you may get fewer shots per fill in a short barrel, but otherwise it's entirely down to personal preference.

The .22 will give you more shots per fill anyway (counter-intuitively) but the .177 has a flatter, easier to learn trajectory.

The barrel length makes no difference in overall performance. A shorter barrel may need more air to accelerate the pellet to the required velocity, so you may get fewer shots per fill in a short barrel, but otherwise it's entirely down to personal preference.

The .22 will give you more shots per fill anyway (counter-intuitively) but the .177 has a flatter, easier to learn trajectory.

so as i am used to 22 should i stick to 22?

nip down to a range or club and try .177 a few times. you'll know at the end.

what i am getting at in the reply to matt is I have a gut for hold over/under with 22 so should i stick to it

opening another can of worms with a shorter barrel is this all going to change?

Well WB, :hmm: I'm not a pcp man and certainly, I prefer long-barrel spring rifles. But, "stick with what you know" is often wise advice :yes: .

.22cal. from a short-barrel carbine should certainly not present you with any trajectory conditions you don't already know how to handle :thumbs: . So, enjoy whatever the benefits of a shorter-handling rifle may be, with a trajectory you already appreciate and know how to shoot with.

.177 will give you a flatter trajectory but, it requires you to adjust your hold technique with a fraction more finesse, I've found, to get the best out of it.

If you're prepared for a little adjustive work, .177 should provide you with equally enjoyable, very accurate shooting :toast:

At least, you know there's no accuracy or other performance issues, between different lengths of barrel.

ATB

Simon

Hi Water Badger.

If l was going for a pcp, I'd go for .177 to make use of the accuracy potential for HFT if that was something I wanted to get involved in.

Either .22 or .177 is perfect as a general hunting calibre at the kill-zone of our quarry. Barrel length is not a performance issue for reasonable hunting ranges.

ATB

Simon

spot on advise :thumbs:

Badger, most people start off with one calibre by chance, and stick to it. If you have the feel for the .22, then I think it's the better calibre for downrange energy delivery. The barrel length shouldn't make much difference to the trajectory, a carbine will be set up to give similar MV as the full length barrel, so the trajectory is exactly the same.

The .22 is fine for HFT, though it does require better range estimation skills. I would say get your mitts on a .177 and put a load of pellets through it. I know quite a few people who shoot both calibres (DavyT for one) and get on very well with both, but this requires a good level of skill and LOTS of practice.