Ferreting on my new permission

Hi folks

As alot of you are aware I was off on a ferreting do to some new permission today, its a 2 hour drive from my house to this place so i decided to have an early night so i would be up nice and fresh this morning !

gets to bed about 11.15pm snuggled up in a deep sleep within miniuts....then out of the blue i get rudely woken at 3.30am....2 hours before i was planning to get up :censored:

any who..long story short i was up at 3:30am and couldnt get back to sleep so i decided i would give the ferrets a feed to set them up for the day ahead :)

opens the hutch door to get the dish and my feckin polecat jill sinks her teeth strait through my finger nail :icon_eek:

fingers throbbing !!!!!! :censored: ...not the best start to the day i think you would agree ?

Anyway gets to the ground in question and we see a few bunnys in the middle of a flat feild, gets out the car to find the whole feild is just a mass of holes, so we set all the purse nets about 70 in total and the 50yrd long net still alot of holes were not coverd ! :icon_eek:

because of the size of this warren we used all six feerets but only got 7 rabbits for our labour....Not that i was worried as it was an enjoyable morning !

we went back to the car had a sandwich and A nice hot cup of tea ;)

we decided to try another part of the permission and when we got therethere was loads of warrens that looked really well used we netted 3 differnt warrens and not one rabbit :no: ...unbeleivable !

God i need a ferreting dog :whistle:

any way after a short descution we decided that the first place we were at would probably be the best bet !

we set the long net round some holes wich had some cover round , and got another two rabbits,

we then net up some awkward holes wich were again in thick cover and the action really got goin rabbits popping out left right and centre ! :yahoo:

We got 19 in total and although we did see some black ones we didnt net any, although we did get a grey one,,,,didnt have the white underside, but it had been shot in the head with an air riffle...the pellet was sitting just under the fur on the head :blink:

all in all it was a geat dat out, and I'm sure the better we get to know the land the better the bags will get ;)

a few pics !

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Sounds like that poley jill wasn't too pleased at having her sleep disturbed either eh, mate? :D

Seventy purse nets weren't enough?! Jesus f*cking christ, man! That's a BIG bury! Seems to me you could use some pointers from " ChalkWarren ". I believe Phil Lloyd's working on a new book, covering Rabbit Control? Maybe ye should put yeself down for a hot off the presses copy of that? It may offer some tips for such situations? Other than that, buy in a whole Plague of ferrets! :icon_eek:

Anyway, mate; How come ye didn't gut the bun's sooner? Ye took a break between bouts. Why carry all that extra weight? I take it ye did piss them as soon as ye had a reasonable chance?

We Pissed them all a few minuits after killing them Ditchie, and gutted them at the end of the day !

for some reason it looks alot darker in the photo's than it accually was....I did use flash ??

The warren was just a whole flat feild covered in rabbit holes.

Thre where sings that someone else was working the land, I found a couple of snares that had been broken By fox's I assume and 2 purse nets aswell, I always count down my nets and when i counted them back in I was 5 short It took me nearly half an hour to find them...scouring that feild ! :laugh:

I'v no doubt it would have been easier to use a few hundred yards of longnets in that feild instead of all those purse nets not to mension alot quicker ! but i just dont have them at my disposal at the moment. :(

And as it was my first time laying eyes on this land i did waist alot of time messing about ! a dog would have been a godsend ! But hey ho thats life ! it was a verry enjoyable day and its allways a learning curve ;)

all the best

Ricky

good one mate...if its on a farm maybe you could get the farmer to put the cutters over the burry ...the bunnys will dig new holes = less hole thats what my mate dose an it works....bulls

The feild that is covered in holes is owned by the railway they have storage sheds and stuff on one side of the feild and the railway line runs right up one side , the banking there is full of holes so the rabbits would probably just move into them.