pure deerhounds

any pics off pure deerhound

my dog :thumbs:

great grandson of coranach pennys cheiftain

Had the privilage of seen your dogs grandfather winning his first coursing event at 15months old, and his second 3 weeks later, asked Sheila if I could use him as a stud, and we were the first to use him, he wouldnt win a show, but by christ could he run

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a proper topic,thankyou for sharing some true real life stories,

bottom one a good pic and good to see areal scotsman with the dog of there nation not some silly english twat at a daft dog show lol

Badger 2 yrs   at 7MonthsAt 7months   Just love to watch him run. Really starting to make his mark now.

Posted Images

Had the privilage of seen your dogs grandfather winning his first coursing event at 15months old, and his second 3 weeks later, asked Sheila if I could use him as a stud, and we were the first to use him, he wouldnt win a show, but by christ could he run

Have heard he was a good dog and like his grandfather this deerhound is never going to be a show dog, although at 22 months he's no coursing legend, he is showing some promise.

Seen American stuff running my self on coyotes, and know lads who have and run them, and have copies of emails asking me for pups..its a different world over there, 100mile square fields, and a place where coyotes are the main problem for landowners, ask on any farm/ranch to get on to do their coyotes and you will get on, their dogs are brought up on them, and are the bees knees for them, most yanks believe that these are the best dogs for the job..but, we have no coyotes here, and we can only work with what we have got..I was part of working deerhounds before the ban, at organised hare coursing in Scotland and England, I worked my deerhounds as I worked my lurchers, on rabbits, hare, fox and deer, they would never get the same numbers, but hey, I enjoyed every minute of see-ing them work..the ban has put the last nail in the coffin for the deerhound as a breed in this country, the people that worked them were doing everything possible to keep the dog not just a show dog, but a working dog..There are still a few men who are trying to keep them working, and Ive said many times that in my opinion that to get the best working deerhounds now, you have to look outside the UK, Ireland and America

Like I said,the yanks dogs are brought up on coyotes.

77e5c69e.jpg

8bc04083.jpg

Edited by Romany

Have heard he was a good dog and like his grandfather this deerhound is never going to be a show dog, although at 22 months he's no coursing legend, he is showing some promise.

He was a really great worker, and one that would have given a lot of lurchers a run for their money on hares..saw his mother run too, Luckpenny, another fantastic runner..

• Like 1

Seen American stuff running my self on coyotes, and know lads who have and run them, and have copies of emails asking me for pups..its a different world over there, 100mile square fields, and a place where coyotes are the main problem for landowners, ask on any farm/ranch to get on to do their coyotes and you will get on, their dogs are brought up on them, and are the bees knees for them, most yanks believe that these are the best dogs for the job..but, we have no coyotes here, and we can only work with what we have got..I was part of working deerhounds before the ban, at organised hare coursing in Scotland and England, I worked my deerhounds as I worked my lurchers, on rabbits, hare, fox and deer, they would never get the same numbers, but hey, I enjoyed every minute of see-ing them work..the ban has put the last nail in the coffin for the deerhound as a breed in this country, the people that worked them were doing everything possible to keep the dog not just a show dog, but a working dog..There are still a few men who are trying to keep them working, and Ive said many times that in my opinion that to get the best working deerhounds now, you have to look outside the UK, Ireland and America

77e5c69e.jpg

8bc04083.jpg

77e5c69e.jpg

8bc04083.jpg

Good photo,I agree that the working deerhound is a rare animal because of the way things are and thats a shame ,I think that they have a certain quality of feirceness that other sighthounds dont have.
emails asking me for pups

Did you send dogs to florida for Gary Hosker?

Hi mate yes we did, he got 2 and another guy got one, but Joi went into the showing side of things, I think Gary had other plans, but, the women always win ehhh...

254b7905.jpg

Edited by Romany
  • Like 1

HERES A COUPLE MORE PHOTOS I FOUND FROM THE 90`s, 1 OF A NAME FROM THE PAST. TOMMY RILEY WITH HIS DEERHOUNDS & OTHER DOGS IN CAITHNESS, THE OTHER FROM THE SCOTTISH KENNEL CLUB SHOW, THE OWNER TOLD ME IT HAD WORKING BLOOD IN IT, BUT MANY SHOW OWNERS CLAIMED THIS AT THE TIME :thumbs:2011-02-1812-59-24_0031.jpg2011-02-1813-01-12_0032.jpg

Cheers for the email Trevor, but no, that aint me, but I can see where your coming from..It says its at the SKC, so the venue probably is Ingleston Edinburgh..

Edited by Romany