First Fox of 2011

Finally managed to get myself of the starting block for this year and bagged a dog fox last night:

post-19182-0-56708800-1296060132_thumb.jpg

At first I thought it was a vixen because it was quite small, but it was a dog fox, I don't think it was last years as its teeth were pretty bad for a young fox.

Funny thing is that it was in the last field of the night that I was lamping that is only 2 minutes from my house.....and I had spent nearly 3 hours down at the farm 18 miles away with no result :doh: I did see a fox down there but it had been down wind of me and what made it even more annoying was with the lay of the land I couldn't get a good shooting position quick enough unless I wanted to lie in the mud :wallbash: so unfortunately it made like an express train up over the hill to live another day :bye: .

It was good to get out and get a result for a change as the last month has been a nightmare with shitty snow/rain/boggy ground .....heres hoping the weather improves....some nice hard frosts so I can drive around a bit.

Nice to get off the mark to start the year!

Im waiting for nv monoculor and digital caller to come back and Im hoping to get of the mark for some foxes on the lamp very soon!

Im into my 2011 count but only with daytime foxes with the hounds and shottie!

Well done Dave :thumbs: .

I've been having similar frustrations to you lately - crap conditions, jumpy foxes, equipment playing up, the list could just go on and on!:wallbash:

Anyway I bagged my first for 2011 last saturday, so hopefully things'll now start to improve

About time too dave.

I have had many nights where i have lamped on foot for 5/6 miles

then looked in the last field where the car is parked and then

shot a fox.

It has also worked the other way round where i shoot a fox in the

first field then see nothing else all night.

Edited by weejohn

hi dave

i take it this wasnt with the nv ? i was out last night and had one vixen ,we were looking over a few farms

only seen 2 ,we actually saw more in the villages and on the sides of roads ,was out 3 weeks ago and we were tripping over them ,i guess it goes like that some times ,

i got that atn mars unit after ,very pleased with it.

glad to see you got one though ,makes it worth while when gets the shot .

you been using the nv unit much ?

ps and your right mate that mod on the bbs is a right ------ .

regards tikka t3

hi dave

i take it this wasnt with the nv ? i was out last night and had one vixen ,we were looking over a few farms

only seen 2 ,we actually saw more in the villages and on the sides of roads ,was out 3 weeks ago and we were tripping over them ,i guess it goes like that some times ,

regards tikka t3

I did get that fox with the NV but to spot it I was using the lamp as I was driving. How you finding using your NV compared to ordinary lamping? I haven't been out that much recently with work,weather and stuff so I hoping to get crackin in Feb.... have you been gettin much yourslelf?

hi dave

regards tikka t3

I did get that fox with the NV but to spot it I was using the lamp as I was driving. How you finding using your NV compared to ordinary lamping? I haven't been out that much recently with work,weather and stuff so I hoping to get crackin in Feb.... have you been gettin much yourslelf?

hi dave

we are out quite regular ,we usually gets one or two when we are out ,a lot of them paired up now around my way

like i said earlier i got the mars 6 ,but im looking to get a pvs 14 monocul;ar soon ,as lifting the unit up to spot is quite

heavy ,but i wouldnt part with it now though ,what i have noticed is that the foxes are seeing the ir when i switch it on ,no dowt about it ,the tube is that bright that i dont really need it unless its pitch dark .furthest ive shot one with it is 225 yrds ,very small target at that distance on 6 power ,but its very accurate ,i shot a few bunnies with it for ferret food the other night all around 100yrds to 140 yrds all hits ,not very prety sight when i got to pick them up. the mars unit is built like a tank its got a gen 3A tube in it .i had a look through a gen2 ultra the other day ,it was ok ,but nothing on this unit ,the tube was no where near as bright as the 3A tube

the problem around my way is a lot of people are out after them and they are quite cautious,one idiot in particular

but thats another story,we use a 22.250 most of the time but ive just put a swarovski 2.5 to 15 to 56 on my .243 great scope very clear optics with ballistic turret ,ive just zeroed for 100 grain for deer and 58 grain vmax for reynard very aaccurate ,i use a nightforce on the 22.250 and i personally think that its the best alround scope for foxing not cheap now though with the vat price rise ,id like to thank geoff on here for advice i received over the phone and you dave for your imput helping me make the decision with the mars nv ,it seams our best nights are after several days of rain then first dry night after they seem to come out of the woodwork .dave what distance are you shooting them with the trident ?

regards t3

the swarovski definately better optics but nightforce for me .

dave what distance are you shooting them with the trident ?

Like you said with NV 6x magnification there isn't much of a target when they are beyond 200 yards :o . If I had to guess I reckon 70% of the foxes I shoot are under 100 yards, 20% between 100-150 yards, and only 10% 150 -200 yards. I know what you are saying about NV making the rifles heavy.....no chance of taking standing shots freehand unless you are built like a brick sh*t house :laugh: ... I ended up buying a Yukon Digital Ranger 5x42 and added a IR laser to it....its ok but maybe not upto the standard of Gen2_ with laser....you could try looking at the next model up and asking about the Ranger Pro which I recall had some good reviews and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the PVS 14 monocular but if money isn't an issue then a PVS 14 sounds great :thumbs: .

Edited by dave1372