good day yesterday

Was out early yesterday for a day's ferreting, the weather was glorious crisp frost in the morning and bright sunshine as the day wore on :thumbs:

Started on a long hedge which was thick with hawthorn and bramble, set the long nets either side with the dogs on the inside, first one bolted and was straight back in, within 5 mins another bolt the rabbit turned to run the long net and my lurcher pup was on it after about 20yrds she nailed it as it turned for the hedge :thumbs: I was well chuffed.

post-50738-0-60504900-1295701637_thumb.jpg

We managed another 6 out of the hedge and decided to leave the long nets and rabbits there and head down to the woods where there are a few ground buries, the dogs marked the first one around 7 holes, set the nets and bolted 1 within 5 mins onto the next and another 1 out quickly. The next one was a bit bigger the dogs marked well again and on enetring the ferrets we could hear the rumbling of a bunny below ground but couldn't get it to bolt. We decided to leave it with the nets on and move onto the next one about 100yrds away, within 5 mins we had another in the bag the next one to bolt was from a hole we had missed :icon_redface: My jack russel was on it and chased it towards the still netted last bury, the rabbit flew under a branch which dog jumped in full stride just behind it ( she pretty athletic for a jrt) the rabbit was nailed by her on hitting one of the netted holes. It was a great chase through the woods and an ideal way to end the day.

We finished with 11 in the bag another enjoyable day, the only downside was finding young in 4 of the rabbits the season seems to be getting shorter and shorter, I reckon we've only got another couple of weeks left with the ferrets.

post-50738-0-88818900-1295702859_thumb.jpg

post-50738-0-85079000-1295702936_thumb.jpg

post-50738-0-08943300-1295703033_thumb.jpg

cheers bigdog :thumbs:

cheers web22, the pregnant rabbits aren't a good sign mate considering a mnth ago there was at least a foot of snow there shows the rabbits breed anytime :icon_eek::wallbash:

hopefully get another couple of weeks in , got some other bits of permission to try might be different there :hmm: