working lurchers in france

hey guys i currently live in ireland and work my lurchers and terriers however im thinking about relocating to france bergerac specifically do any of you know the laws regarding hunting with lurchers in france ??

all help in this topic would be much appreciated

good hunting

Hunting anything in France with running dogs is illegal....

kinda thought that simom,wasnt to sure on rabbits though.kinda strange that s they still allow fox hunting and stuff.im suprised the french didnt strike and put up blockades lol.or maybe they aint much fussed as we are for sighthounds.

do they impose the law strictly or are they very laxy daisy about it

i think they take it quite strict.need permits and licenses,im also sure there is a written test.sure i read that somewhere.

would certainly do my homework first,nothing worse than getting caught up in legal proceedings in a foregn country.

Edited by scothunter

i know they have lots of permits for shooting and all that i only have two small whippet x lurchers i was just wondering how tough they would be on taking a few rabbits off the land as where im looking at buying seems to be over run with them i plan to apply for all the permits for all the other forms of shooting i was just wondering how strict theyd be on rabbit coursing and has anyone on here done any coursing in france or know anyone who has

thanks

Again it depends where you want to live and go. Some regions are more strict and some not. You have to be very friendly with the hunting guys around your house and town, invite them to have a nice dinner and of course with a nice wine, participate to some hunting partys and so on...

But I red somewhere that you want to go close to Bergerac then I am sure you will find some ex pat close to you to help you finding the right people ;)

French people like good food and good wine especially in the south if you are open friendly and you try to participate to the life of your community it should be ok then ;)

i have a pal that has a carp lake in brittany,he hunts rabbits hare and boar regular,but its in the middle of nowhere,you never see a sole for miles his neighbour takes the rabbits and keeps them live until shes hungry,and she,s in her 90,s atb jamiew

Edited by jamiew

i have a pal that has a carp lake in brittany,he hunts rabbits hare and boar regular,but its in the middle of nowhere,you never see a sole for miles his neighbour takes the rabbits and keeps them live until shes hungry,and she,s in her 90,s atb jamiew

Correct, get in the countryside in france, and you are in the countryside..I to have a few mates out there, and on one occasion went with one oft hem to do some work on a barn. The dogs came, and we ran them, never saw a soul, and never got any mither..There isnt much tho that the french dont shoot, and game is few and far bewteen..

I knew a woman who had Salukis: she left in the South East of France. Hers regularly ran hares and rabbits whilst out on exercise: no one batted an eyelid. I also sold a pup to some people with a vineyard, ex pats: lost touch with them but they reckoned that there wasn't a problem with the odd lurcher catching stuff just so long as you weren't doing big organised hunting parties/days out etc. It's many years since I lived in the South of France, but by all accounts not a lot has changed inasmuch that the country is huge and once your'e accepted (learn the language: makes all the difference) the French country communities are very friendly and helpful. But you HAVE TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE: even a lame effort on your part goes a long way to becoming accepted.

I knew a woman who had Salukis: she left in the South East of France. Hers regularly ran hares and rabbits whilst out on exercise: no one batted an eyelid. I also sold a pup to some people with a vineyard, ex pats: lost touch with them but they reckoned that there wasn't a problem with the odd lurcher catching stuff just so long as you weren't doing big organised hunting parties/days out etc. It's many years since I lived in the South of France, but by all accounts not a lot has changed inasmuch that the country is huge and once your'e accepted (learn the language: makes all the difference) the French country communities are very friendly and helpful. But you HAVE TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE: even a lame effort on your part goes a long way to becoming accepted.

Skycat, there are folk on here who cant speak english, never mind anything else... :whistling:

Absolutly right tho, they are a funny breed the french, very clicky, not like the friendly spanish.