232 bar divers bottle

Alright everyone,iv been given a 12 liter divers bottle by my mate who used to use it fr his pest control in the early ninetys,its got airgun center sticker on the front and is in mint condition.

What I want to no is will I still be able to get a test for this bottle,and how often could I fill up my r10 177 with a bottle this size.

It's got tp 348 bar on it and cp 232 bar on it,what do these numbers mean.

Iv done a search but can't find what I'm after just that people recomend a 300 bar.any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

jake

They should test it, yes it was maufactuered a while back but so long as its condition is good (ie not covered in rust, and you said that externally it is good) it will be taken, the whole point of testing is to ensure that it is safe. The test is carried out in a test cell (I believe normally in water with the bottle filled with water under pressure) so if it does fail there isn't a huge bang and bits of metal flying too far.

I have a 3 ltr bottle and had it filled to 232 bar in April and still haven't had to have it re-filled, it still puts 200 bar into the rifle via a micro-bore pipe. The number of fills really seems to depend more on the type of pipe used to connect the tank to the rifle. If you have a large bore pipe you lose a lot per fill by de-pressurising to remove the pipe from the rifle, micro-bore minimises the losses.

I paid about £3 for a fill, and Matt Hooks had his 12lt bottle filled at the same place and the cost was the same.

TP is the Test pressure CP is the working pressure so 232 bar.

Somewhere on the tank at the top will be the date of manufacture.

Basically every 2 years you need to have a visual inspection with certificate/stamp and every 5 years you need a full inspection/pressure test.

If you havent got the test tickets, filling centres will not fill it.

They should test it, yes it was maufactuered a while back but so long as its condition is good (ie not covered in rust, and you said that externally it is good) it will be taken, the whole point of testing is to ensure that it is safe. The test is carried out in a test cell (I believe normally in water with the bottle filled with water under pressure) so if it does fail there isn't a huge bang and bits of metal flying too far.

I have a 3 ltr bottle and had it filled to 232 bar in April and still haven't had to have it re-filled, it still puts 200 bar into the rifle via a micro-bore pipe. The number of fills really seems to depend more on the type of pipe used to connect the tank to the rifle. If you have a large bore pipe you lose a lot per fill by de-pressurising to remove the pipe from the rifle, micro-bore minimises the losses.

I paid about £3 for a fill, and Matt Hooks had his 12lt bottle filled at the same place and the cost was the same.

I would belive all you say is spot on apart from the water bit if it was going to explode a bit of water would not stop serios damage, the water is to keep the bottle cool as the oxygen that is being compressed gets realy hot,the last bottle i got filled was boiling hot so im sure the cold water kept the temp down for a correct psi/bar reading after the fill, i totaly 100% agree with you on the micro bore filling pipe, :thumbs: .