Snare trouble help appreciated!

Hi there Ive been trying to snare rabbits and i never catch Owt.the only time i think i did charlie had it for supper.i try and set them on runs and next to fence posts but im more than likely doing it all wrong. Could anyone advise me on a few methods they use and maybe that will help me catch a few.im trying this method as its a change from shooting them.im glad im a better shot with my gun than i am at snare setting. Any help would be most welcom. Cheers

Make the snare loop about the the size of a teacup's saucer, and set it so the bottom of the loop is about three finger-widths above the ground. Also, to stop the snare being pushed over, split the top half-inch of a pencil-sized peg driven in the ground next to the snare peg, and clamp the snare wire into that split peg JUST OUTSIDE of the loop, so as to hold the snare solidly in place. Happy hunting, and don't eat 'em if their eyes look injured, for those might have miximitosis. Lastly increase you odds by putting out a couple of dozen sets, if you can.

Great stuff ill give it a try going to set about twenty or so later this week so ill be happy when i get a few for the pot as there is plenty about round my way. Thanks for advise

Have a look at Glen Waters articles on snaring ,they are well drawn and easy to follow,a good starting point for the novice,take no notice of swamp wangs advice , its plop.

Ok then sirs, correct me, if that wouldn't be asking too much. The rabbit snares I set are exactly as I described them here, and they work a treat on rabbits here in Africa and in North Wales when I'm there. If they work for me as well as they do, then I really am curious to hear why you guys summed up my description as you have. Hey, I am always willing to learn, and don't at all object to being laughed at while I'm at it, so I'm all ears on this one fellas.

To be honest the advice given in your post is old and has long since been updated,The use of a hazel tealer on rabbit snares is an old school method that still has its place but most snarers now favour a "wire" variety of tealer...As regards to the "teacup saucer" sized noose you mention,this has again been developed further to not only perform better but dramaticaly increase catch rates. The worst part of the post is the setting height you mentioned...3 finger widths would only equate to about 2" or so, this would simply strike the rabbits legs/chest area at best...i think your intentions were good but your methods are old and all but useless,the reply seems as though it was posted by someone that read a vintage "how to snare a rabbit" book ....Take a look through the pinned articles/posts on snaring and im sure your own snaring will improve both home and away....atb

To be honest the advice given in your post is old and has long since been updated,The use of a hazel tealer on rabbit snares is an old school method that still has its place but most snarers now favour a "wire" variety of tealer...As regards to the "teacup saucer" sized noose you mention,this has again been developed further to not only perform better but dramaticaly increase catch rates. The worst part of the post is the setting height you mentioned...3 finger widths would only equate to about 2" or so, this would simply strike the rabbits legs/chest area at best...i think your intentions were good but your methods are old and all but useless,the reply seems as though it was posted by someone that read a vintage "how to snare a rabbit" book ....Take a look through the pinned articles/posts on snaring and im sure your own snaring will improve both home and away....atb

Thank you for this explanation, Heritage. I gladly accept that my method may not be the most effective, yet since this approach has worked adequately for my hobby-level trapping forays over many years, I was a bit baffled to hear it dismissed out of hand with no further explanation. From the errors you have pointed out though, it probably is a good thing I don't rely on trapping to earn my keep. Finally, your polite tone is much appreciated.

Edited by swamp thang

Heritage is completely right in what he says methods do change and evolve over the years but this does not mean the old methods don't work anymore.......because they do, it's just that things have altered to improve your catch rate. Take setting heights for instance, the general assumption nowadays is that 6 1/2 inches is about the right height........and this maybe true, BUT in reality you can set anywhere from 2 inches off the ground (where a rabbit squeezes under a fence for instance) to up to 9-10 inches high in long grass and still catch rabbits cleanly.......and you can set at any height in between these extremes depending on conditions. This is where experience comes into the job.........being able to look at any situation and gauge at what height the rabbit will be carying his head and setting the wire accordingly. As a very general rule........a big noose and a setting height of about 61/2 inches is about right for most conditions.........but personally i judge each run on its merit and set accordingly........sometimes lower........sometime higher....nothing is written in stone in the snaring game......so always be ready to adapt to any situation.

Rolfe.

nothing is written in stone in the snaring game......so always be ready to adapt to any situation.

Rolfe.

Agree rolfe, if it works use it,... I've snared rabbits in fox snares set 10" off the floor with no long grass around... I've seen rabbits jump straight through fence snares, pegangun recorded this happening also... Nothing is truely set in stone...

• 3 weeks later...

nothing is written in stone in the snaring game......so always be ready to adapt to any situation.

Rolfe.

Agree rolfe, if it works use it,... I've snared rabbits in fox snares set 10" off the floor with no long grass around... I've seen rabbits jump straight through fence snares, pegangun recorded this happening also... Nothing is truely set in stone...

ian, thats correct, i have witnessed this myself rabbits going through fence wires many years ago, the problem is very simple to solve.thanks for the phone call last monday. i,ll give you a buzz shortly, woodga snared 96 the other morning 73 in hoop snares and the rest in fence snares . the keeper thought he wouldn,t catch many at the height he was setting with the big loop, but couldn,t beleive his eyes in the morning, the keeper said that he set the old traditional way, 4inch loop and about a fist high and caught around a dozen with dozens of tripped wires. so woodga showed him how to snare properly, the keeper now wants a hundred pegged snares, by the way have you seen the big yin lately, i,ve got something for him , i,ll post it to you to give him.take care snareman.