Peekaboo, I see you!

Last night was windy and overcast, yet still strangely bright. It was after midnight yet I wanted to be out, I'd bring the shotgun & torch and leave the extra weight at home. So I called from my usual spot in the neighbours field near my farm, nothing showed. I moved with the wind upwards towards higher ground, both to get a better view over the land below and to keep the wind in my favour.

After crossing a fence into another neighbours land I spied a foxy pair of eyes well down the fence line from me. Time is 00.50. Looking down towards him I don't want to move along the fence as I'd be well out in the open, with the strong wind I don't want to call either as he can wind me easy enough. To my left there's a boulder field that'll afford me some cover on my descent.

In the mean time my fox was ascending the hill and as I swept my torch left to right I spot him again not very far away looking right at me... Never good. I could only see his upper chest and above. No sooner had I thought about bringing up the gun than he was away like a flash.

I know what he's going to do, so I flick on the rabbit distress call and leave the caller on a rock. Then I'm puffing and panting up a steep hill towards a specific hill I reckon my fox will round to wind me. Problem is when I get there he's just beat me to it, a pair of eyes and ears looking back at me from all of ten yards for just an instant, then gone. I had hoped the caller would have curbed his circle a little and I'd get the drop on him, worked before but not to be this time. Anyway, he's vanished and next time I see him he's a good 100 yards off heading away, uphill with the wind in the neighbours. Give chase? Ya must be kidding, see you again.

I spent most of the evening deciding would I or wouldn't I go out tonight. Prepared the backpack and all the bits and pieces early to hasten the decision later on. Same set up initially, except now I've got a 33amp battery and a .223! It's a lot brighter and a lot calmer out tonight. John was out too, heading towards me on foot from his place.

00.22 and I see a fox in the marshy area next door. He's a nice ways off but I'm sat up on a hillock, with a big rock at my back and another smaller rock I can shoot off to my right. Checking through the scope I can confirm by the body it's a fox, and looks distinctly like my fox from last night. He's not coming to the call and starts moving out of the marshy area, I lose sight of him for a moment or two.

Next time I see him he's higher up out of the marsh at the bottom of a hill that leads out to the mountain proper. I've my rear bean bag tucked in under the butt of the rifle to steady up, and then something that's killed so many foxes in the past happens...

He stops for a final look back.

Psssssshhhhtttt.....Thwap!

250 yards and a nice sized dog fox.

Fox30richiesdog250yards.jpg

nice effort john, the numbers must be creeping up now...??

Got flu atm, but looking to head out maybe fri night, have a few meetings on wed and thurs night, so fri it is if alls well,

still looking for that dream shot...lol

ATB<

Snap.

That's number 30 I think. Had a lay off with the cold weather and injury, weather fine, injury still present :laugh: Needless to say I'm not out as much as usual.

The rifle is a Remington VL SS in .223, which has been bedded, screw cut and re-crowned. The scope is a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56.

Random thought, my feet are fcuking feezing :thumbdown:

Great write up on the series of stalks it took. Right up till I read down the page and saw the photo I still wasn't sure who would best the other in the battle of wits between the seasoned hunter and his wily adversary. Must admit though, midway through the read I was starting to root for the fox ha ha.

Edited by swamp thang

Great write up on the series of stalks it took. Right up till I read down the page and saw the photo I still wasn't sure who would best the other in the battle of wits between the seasoned hunter and his wily adversary. Must admit though, midway through the read I was starting to root for the fox ha ha.

No worries, I do be rooting for the fox sometimes myself :laugh:

good shooting!

how many acres do u hunt over just out of intrest.

I don't know Gez. Our system over here doesn't require the shooter to know how much land he has, as all FAC's are open here. I mostly shoot locally, so I know who own's what lands and where they are, that's pretty much all I need to know really. I'd say it's in the thousands of acres, but the vast majority of that is pure rough bog and mountain.