34 today but rats a big problem

Off we went again on to Howards farm up the lane, I had been told where we needed to be by Steve the keeper, he said expect a few rats though. Well the first part of the hedgerow was great, we had 19 in an hour and half so things were looking rosy. We stopped for a cuppa and a sarni and then moved on to the second stretch which run along the side of a maize strip, it was evident that rats were present around here, infact we disregarded the first few sets as they looked well infested. ratholes.jpg

As you are aware rats and rabbits will co-inhabit the same sets, I dont think the rabbits like it but they dont have a choice sometimes. I took a few pics and short vids of the rat holes, these will have to be re-visited with the smoker and a few extra terriers.

As we got to the first real set on this bit we netted up expecting a few long tailed ones bolting and it wasn't long before they did, I was crouched by the side of a few nets when one ran straight out and almost up my coat, for feck sake can manage without that. The ferrets refused to show and when they did they flew straight back down signifying they were hot on the heels of something. Well this time resulted in a dig, and it was with trepedation that we stuck our arms into the holes to feel for the rabbits, but luckily enough the things we grabbed had long ears. It wasn't long before we had a casualty, the white jill came out with a gash below her eye, rat bite defo, but she was still eager to get back in, tough little critters ferrets.

The next few sets saw more of the same, rats bolting but straight back into the holes, I had left my 2 patterdales in the van and I am sure they would have nailed these but I am not 100% with someone elses ferrets, that would be a disaster.

We continued down the hedge and picked the ones that looked rat free, not an easy task but never the less important, we could not spend too much time with ferrets chasing rats as we had a job to do, the rats will have to wait. Stevo had his JRT and with this being a dog it was teeth and snarls all round when mine came out, so we took it in turns letting them out, a shame really but the patts are highly strung. We reached the end of the next hedgerow back towards another maize strip and again left some good sets due to the rats and it started to rain, it was forecast though. We all agreed to call it a day and leave the rest for another visit, afterall we dont want to take them all at once, it will spoil it for another day.

We had a count up and a quick look around and took some pictures, the final tally was 34 all fat healthy bunnies, just cant wait for the next session, probably some time next week.

howards34on16thjan.jpg

A view of the rat holes down the hedge, what do you think? worth a visit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVFkdSJGyY

Edited by stevethefish