snake bite

There's no way a snake would be awake at this time of year! Fecking vets!

IM AFRAID I AGREE WITH THIS. MOST WOULD BE HIBERNATING AS MOST REPTILE`S DO IN THE COLD. SEEN A TERRIER DIE IN CAITHNESS DUE 2 AN ADDER BITE. HOWEVER THE OWNER DID MESS ABOUT BEFORE DECIDING 2 SPEND MONEY AT VETS & IT HAD TAKEN A BAD REACTION 2 THE BITE. ADDERS ARE A PIT VIPER BUT DEATHS ARE RARE FM BITES,AS FM OUR SOUTHERN SNAKE RELATIVE THE GRASS SNAKE... SOME VETS JUST TELL YOU ANY OLD NONSENSE 2 BE HONEST, I ALWAYS QUIZ THEM 4 INFO ON THEIR DIAGNOSIS SO I CAN RECHECK IT & WRITE IT DOWN 2 REFER 2 LATER SHOULD IT PROVE 2 BE RELEVANT :thumbs:

wonder how many animals have died through bad judgement from a vet.

Mine for a start :censored:

Lost my Staffy 18 months ago due to Vet not believing me even though i knew the cause of his illness, he'd eaten a foreign object. I begged the Vet to open him up and remove it as the dog couldn't eat/drink. Vet insisted on a course of AB's! Took him to another vet who refused to operate without X-rays, couldn't see anything as the object was a plastic carrier bag he stole out the trash so refused to open him up. My dog died 5 days later.

You can't even do anything about them because they all back each other up :wallbash:

similar thing happened to me,although the vet was exceptionally good about it.had a greyhound whos tail was like a whip.always bleeding at the tip of it.prob had to take about 3" of it over a 3month period.bandaged it up one day,and he used to pull of the bandage during night.anyway he was in a final of a race,day before he stopped eating losing weight drastically.off to vets put him on drip and kept him in.final was a no go for him.cpl days later after he had been xrayed and stuff.vet called i culd pick him up.by time i got there he was just as bad.vet said need tio keep him here.got a call from him in morning dog died,could he do a PM.found the remains of the bandage wrapped around his intenstines.as said vet was really good about it and was pretty sick about not seeing that.he settled bill himself.was a good dog aswell.now im always paranoid about dogs chewing and eating stuff.

Quoted from another site.

Adders are not usually aggressive, tending to be rather timid and biting only when cornered or alarmed. People are generally only bitten after stepping on them or attempting to pick them up. They will usually disappear into the undergrowth at a hint of any danger, but will return once all is quiet, often to the same spot. Occasionally, individual snakes will reveal their presence with a loud and sustained hissing, hoping to warn off potential aggressors. Often, these turn out to be pregnant females. When threatened, the front part of the body is drawn into an S-shape to prepare for a strike.[22]

The species is cold-adapted and hibernates in the winter. In Great Britain, males and females hibernate for about 150 and 180 days respectively. In northern Sweden hibernation lasts 8–9 months. On mild winter days, they may emerge to bask where the snow has melted and will often travel across snow. About 15% of adults and 30-40% of juveniles die during hibernation.[2]

Edited by danw

cheers for all the replies people lots of food for thought didnt really think of snakes hibernating as its still quite mild down here in devon and to be honest probably would have belived any diagnoses as its the dogs first proper season and just wanted her sorted (stupid i know) but will certainly be having words monday when i go back cherrs all,james

Adders are not usually aggressive, tending to be rather timid and biting only when cornered or alarmed. People are generally only bitten after stepping on them or attempting to pick them up. They will usually disappear into the undergrowth at a hint of any danger, but will return once all is quiet, often to the same spot. Occasionally, individual snakes will reveal their presence with a loud and sustained hissing, hoping to warn off potential aggressors. Often, these turn out to be pregnant females. When threatened, the front part of the body is drawn into an S-shape to prepare for a strike.[22]

The species is cold-adapted and hibernates in the winter. In Great Britain, males and females hibernate for about 150 and 180 days respectively. In northern Sweden hibernation lasts 8–9 months. On mild winter days, they may emerge to bask where the snow has melted and will often travel across snow. About 15% of adults and 30-40% of juveniles die during hibernation.[2]

ADDERS ARE PIT VIPERS & THE CLASSIC ARROW SHAPED HEAD & S FORMATION OF THE KNECK MEANS A STRIKE IS IMMINENT. IVE BROUGHT MY OWN REPTILES OUT OF HIBERNATION BUT THE COLD WEATHER WE HAVE ,EVEN AT NIGHT HAS ENSURED THEY ARE REMAINING SLUGGISH. TRUE MOST SNAKE BITES ARE ACCIDENTS & MOST WOULD RATHER AVOID CONFRONTATION. HERES A PHOTO OF `A BLACK MAMBA, AN AGGRESSIVE SNAKE & U CAN SEE THE INTENT IN ITS LOOK WHEN I TOOK THE PHOTO, ALSO A KING COBRA FOR SOME INTEREST.2009_0618ZOO0021.jpg

2009_0618ZOO0046.jpg

I had a dog got bit on front leg by an adder he got treated by a vet but unfortunatly never fully recovered and ended up in house as sofa dog(i dont think he was complaining tho LOL),luckily these happenings are quite rare,hope your dog makes a full recovery, :thumbs: ATB Broonie1

If living in an area with biting snakes such as adders it is advised to have a barrel name tag holder on dogs collar (if wearing one) with a piriton inside. This, if given when bitten, will help reduce the effects of bite til get to a vet :)

Regards

Tina

its not a snake bite at this time of the year pal ,vets telling porkies,and seeing £ signs :censored:

Yeap,, :thumbs: ,,, i would go back and confront him about his super snake diagnosis.

I have been the vets before and was amazed at the amount of bullshit they come out with to try and get your cash,, thing is loads swallow it,,, twats imo.

ADDERS ARE PIT VIPERS & THE CLASSIC ARROW SHAPED HEAD & S FORMATION OF THE KNECK MEANS A STRIKE IS IMMINENT. IVE BROUGHT MY OWN REPTILES OUT OF HIBERNATION BUT THE COLD WEATHER WE HAVE ,EVEN AT NIGHT HAS ENSURED THEY ARE REMAINING SLUGGISH. TRUE MOST SNAKE BITES ARE ACCIDENTS & MOST WOULD RATHER AVOID CONFRONTATION. HERES A PHOTO OF `A BLACK MAMBA, AN AGGRESSIVE SNAKE & U CAN SEE THE INTENT IN ITS LOOK WHEN I TOOK THE PHOTO, ALSO A KING COBRA FOR SOME INTEREST.2009_0618ZOO0021.jpg

2009_0618ZOO0046.jpg

something creepy about snakes lol its the eyes i think look lifeless

My old bitch got bit by an adder a couple of years ago, I toook her straight to the vet who gave her drugs, can't remember what though and she was OK. This happened in September, seemingly the later on in the season, the more venom the snakes produce. Fortunately I saw her fooot had swelled up and she was looking sorry for herself.

Ever since then, I carry a couple of Piriton tabs in my phone cas just as a precaution. I would find it diffficult to believe that there are adders about at this time of year though. Put this to your vet and see what they say.

Cheers, D.