parson type russels in ireland

i started the post as a question as i liked the torlishill bred dogs they are strong boxy types that was all. then it was said they worked with hunts by lislea vixen

then there was a question of which hunts,which there was no answer for and as weve followed a few in our time kegs asked again which i didnt see anything wrong with.the whole chapwin thing howlbeck thing isnt anything to do with the thread,the rest of the dogs on greenperrys site say what they have got and it doesnt say the bandit dog got his working cert but if he did thats great. the reason for all the work talk is that we dig and liked the dogs if they were well tested digging dogs id of tried a pup if one was available in the future hence the original post i dont care for showing though i like going to them but each to their own

terriers are classed as digging and rat dogs dogs first and foremost as thats what they were kept for, badgers are illegal so that just leaves foxes and rats,neither myself or kegs[the plank]lol slated your kennel we just asked..edited to say that a CACIB does not mean the dog has passed a working test as under its rules a dog is able to enter for one if it holds a foreign championship and as the dog thats called bandit was an irish champ that allowed him to enter,in tem terms it says nothing of a working test to be awarded one,if thats wrong then their site is wrong as that is from it good hunting or showing dee mac

Edited by deemac01

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an interesting thread. At least no mad personal issues being thrashed out in public so far. I have quoted this post simply because it has to be one of the easiest questions to answer ever to h

found some pics      

i wasnt in the best mood when i wrote that, it is true to a larger extent than most will admit, (or turn a blind eye to) there are plenty of good breeders out there, if i was buying a pup id want refe

Posted Images

i started the post as a question as i liked the torlishill bred dogs they are strong boxy types that was all. then it was said they worked with hunts by lislea vixen

then there was a question of which hunts,which there was no answer for and as weve followed a few in our time kegs asked again which i didnt see anything wrong with.the whole chapwin thing howlbeck thing isnt anything to do with the thread,the rest of the dogs on greenperrys site say what they have got and it doesnt say the bandit dog got his working cert but if he did thats great. the reason for all the work talk is that we dig and liked the dogs if they were well tested digging dogs id of tried a pup if one was available in the future hence the original post i dont care for showing though i like going to them but each to their own

terriers are classed as digging and rat dogs dogs first and foremost as thats what they were kept for, badgers are illegal so that just leaves foxes and rats,neither myself or kegs[the plank]lol slated your kennel we just asked. good hunting or showing dee mac

None of the torlishill dogs work with hunts to the best of my knowledge, i do know of one that was working down south, but not heard anything about him for a while, but he was very well thought of,worked to fox,he is a half brother to dog in finland, same sire," jappatin polar ice".

lislea vixen can you tell me which hunt kennels your dogs are at and do you personally work your dogs as thats the purpose of the post.fair dues till huntress looks like they get out there but she isnt japattin also that dog in finland didnt have to work for the cacib certificates as he was intitled to enter the show as he held a championship from a foreign country

1. The purpose of the initial post that started all this was to ask if Jappatin worked their dogs and did anyone know of them.

2. Huntress bitch was bred by Jappatin and has won at many IKC shows.

3. Dog in Finland is working as well as showing

4. A CACIB Does NOT give a Parson a working certificate without having passed a full working test in most cases to LIVE QUARRY

5. Can someone please tell me what all the fuss is about Jappatin are initially a show kennel that use several of their dogs for hunting and have sold some dogs for the purpose of working, they don't breed a lot and keep themselves to them selves and have never professed to be what they are not, they did not ask to be slammed all over this site

Very well put lislea Vixen, im a very good frined of both members of Jappatin, and neither are on this site to stand up for them selves, they did not start this thread, or have had any part in it. If you look at their website only on puppy page do they say they are a show/working kennell.they have lurchers and working ferrets . They do not sell their puppies as working dogs, if a puppy they sell goes to ground when older and proves itself time and time again then they are delighted, but no dog leaves the kennels with the promise he or she will work and on that matter of puppies, they have had just one litter in the last three years, so yes they do show and win loads,fair play to them, but they make no money from breeding, i know that for a fact. They gave me my two bitches, i had not to pay one penny for either dog, Bandit who went to Findland went free of charge also, and yes their are quiet a few dogs in this country that are working from jappatin, but im not or im sure Lislea Vixen who know Jappatin also is going to go giving names, as people dont want abuse and slagging off as most but not all of posts on this site gets..

Im not saying all ikc parson work, they few and very far between, but personally i think its unfair to pick on one kennel who are not on this to gave their point of view, there are other kennels here in ireland selling dogs as workers/show dogs for stupid money , i paid 500 for a pup from a well know hunt kennell here, the bitch was wank, ugly as sin, if she worked itself her looks would not have mattered,but a small fox would have snapped her in two and she was nasty with kids to top it all off.

none of what i asked was attacking anyone lislea vixen said the dogs were with hunts to which i asked the wereabouts. which she still hasnt answered and i might not be very well schooled but as she joined 6 hours after the post and its the only post she has commented on i think that japattin is sticking up for its self ok. anyway im not lookin to fall out with anyone here so good luck for the season

The man that tried to work Bandit reckons he didnt like the dark !

the bandit dog was tried at 13-14 months and was okay but he wouldnt travel holes well at all,i always knew the dog would show well as i thought he was pick of the litter,so with having a better show career than a working one he went back to pat,glad to see the dog done as well as he did another FATPAT SPECIAL,the wee dog was gamey enough when at it though but just not for me. nice dogs ladyjane handy lookin :thumbs:

the bandit dog was tried at 13-14 months and was okay but he wouldnt travel holes well at all,i always knew the dog would show well as i thought he was pick of the litter,so with having a better show career than a working one he went back to pat,glad to see the dog done as well as he did another FATPAT SPECIAL,the wee dog was gamey enough when at it though but just not for me. nice dogs ladyjane handy lookin :thumbs:

You say the nicest things Tango !!

Must get you to try another pup from my next litter mate.

no probs ill pick it, try it, give it back and youll have a champion lol

no probs ill pick it, try it, give it back and youll have a champion lol

Do well big nuts, will hold you to that !

I only put the dogs pics up to let folk see what is in effect a bitch bred for work and a show bred dog. I'm not getting into arguments about what is a working dog and what isn't, I don't dig with my terriers, I use them for cover work. But without dedicated breeders who know what they are doing, breeds like the pure parson will cease to exist. Just take a look at some of the specimens of all types of terriers you see at working shows, shaved coats, no bone or substance to them, some look like they need a good feeding up. How could dogs like that ever survive the vigours of a seasons work?

This thread was started by an enquiry about the Jappatin kennel of parson russells. From what I know of this kennel they show and work their dogs. what defines work, or show for that matter, is a matter for individual interpretation.

No offence intended to anyone who has posted!!

Most dedicated breeders of parsons haven't got a clue about working terriers. There are plenty who think they do but from 1st hand experience they are clueless. Incidentally what do you class as a pure parson seeing as you put up a picture of a Howlbeck bred dog? Can I ask again who is he? and are you in Ireland? pm if preferred

Thats a real good question ( whats a pure bred parson ?) what do you think would be classed as pure bred ?

i have to say i met the people from jappatin at ballinlough. Now i know they are not here but the people with them are. I think showing brings out the worst side of peoples personalities. And witnessed them rip the back out of a good mate of mine. I think shows should be a place to meet friends and make new ones not behave like jealous spoilt children. I will say this the people in their company were first rate with a cracking wee lurcher bitch.:-).

The Dooners do indeed hunt their terriers,and i know that they hunt with them in England, but i could not tell you where at or with who and they are indeed better known as a show kennel. My terriers are of the jappatin bloodline but i only do a wee bit of ratting sometimes, ( to old,to fat and the knees have gone !)the dogs they breed are smaller neater type than the normal leggy shit you see in the kc show ring,

i used to have one of the leggy shit ones. worked well he did. 15 inches tts :thumbs:

found some pics :thumbs:

post-2078-0-07386100-1295187227_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-16285700-1295187371_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-12714300-1295187410_thumb.jpg

Is that a dog from the Howlbeck kennel

the dog is howlbeck breeding :thumbs: out of piper.

this is his dam

post-2078-0-10762300-1295383323_thumb.jpg

Thats a lovely strong lookin bitch.Just the type i like.

• Like 1

The Dooners do indeed hunt their terriers,and i know that they hunt with them in England, but i could not tell you where at or with who and they are indeed better known as a show kennel. My terriers are of the jappatin bloodline but i only do a wee bit of ratting sometimes, ( to old,to fat and the knees have gone !)the dogs they breed are smaller neater type than the normal leggy shit you see in the kc show ring,

i used to have one of the leggy shit ones. worked well he did. 15 inches tts :thumbs:

this is his dam

cheers i only had her a short time. my old russell bitch took a dislike to her. so it was last in first out. she went to a friend and i got a pup off her (Trusty) she was lined with piper. and as far as i know the whole litter worked. :thumbs:

i have pics of them somewhere. ill dig em out :thumbs:

this is his dam

cheers i only had her a short time. my old russell bitch took a dislike to her. so it was last in first out. she went to a friend and i got a pup off her (Trusty) she was lined with piper. and as far as i know the whole litter worked. :thumbs:

Would love to see them mate, cheers

this is his dam

Would love to see them mate, cheers

the head study is trusty's sister. owned by the lad that took gale. he bred the litter

he also kept the smooth dog in the second pic and his mate kept the bitch in that pic.

post-2078-0-28412000-1295720891_thumb.jpg

post-2078-0-92062800-1295721083_thumb.jpg