SGC Interview

Hey Martin,

I imagine someone from your area might be able to give you an insight into the characters, but on the whole they want to see that you are who you say you are - a good FLO will pay interest in all his charges and hopefully be interested and supportive in what you are wanting to do. They prefer to see that people have thought it through and have the permissions or the club in mind, but remember that unlike a Firearms certificate, you do not actually need a reason to own a shotgun. It will just make the conversation easier - try not to be defensive - you would want them doing proper checks if the boot were on the other foot.

They will ask 'Why' - what has led you to make the app. 'What' sort of shooting will you be doing and how much and 'Where'. They will also be interested in your experience and may make some recommendations like going to do a clay shoot or going accompanied for a while (but these should not become conditions of your licence) - they often have some good advice - even on a good gunsmith to go to to buy guns and cartridges etc. For all the bad press they get, on the whole they're there to help you and protect the community.

They will want to see where you have sited - or will site - your cabinet. If you don't have one already, they will come round again when you purchase a gun to make sure you have the appropriate security.

Walk in the park! Tea and a good biscuit never went amiss .....

Try and enjoy it. If you've got any concerns or specific questions, feel free to PM me

HTH

at the time I applied for my SGC, I never had any permission to shoot anywhere, I simply said I wanted to get a single bore hushpower 410 for live caught fox dispatch, which the FAO was happy with, of course once you have your certificate, you can buy whatever you want.

I did take the trouble, to find out from others in my area, what cake he liked, then made sure we had fresh bread pudding coming out of the oven, as he knocked on the door,

And at what range can a shotgun cause serious injury?

Depends how hard you throw it!

But if you fire it, depending on shot size and cartridge make up, loading and velocity, gauge......

How long's a piece of string?

How serious is serious?

I certainly wouldn't want to stand closer than 70 yards to a 12 bore with a game load, but a 9mm garden gun you'd be safe at 30 yards.

And at what range can a shotgun cause serious injury?

Depends how hard you throw it!

But if you fire it, depending on shot size and cartridge make up, loading and velocity, gauge......

How long's a piece of string?

How serious is serious?

I certainly wouldn't want to stand closer than 70 yards to a 12 bore with a game load, but a 9mm garden gun you'd be safe at 30 yards.

Exactly Matt,

Question baffled me but 100 Yards seemed a safe answer.

^^ As above.

He'll just rock up and sit down with you, go over your form to make sure its all correct.

Ask you what you've done so far with one i.e. had a couple of clay lessons, been for a couple of rounds of skeet etc.

Then he'll do the safety thing as mentioned with how far away you think you can kill someone with a shotgun etc etc if you havent got a clue just say so, but mention you've been taught muzzle awareness etc and he'll be happy, he'll tell you how far you can kill someone/injure them.

He'll go through the make-up of a cartridge and different types i.e. no 6/7 for pigeons bb/aaa for foxes, chokes and when to use them (high flying birds etc)

Then he'll go and see your safe, make sure its on a brick wall and no crack head can rock up and steal it.

He'll ask you about where your going to keep your key Just tell him it'll be safe and no-one but you will ever know where it is.

He'll ask where you planning in keeping ammo, theres no law saying it has to be locked away so your safe keeping it out of sight dont keep it in the safe lol

But yeah thats it, then he'll say go and look at guns put a deposit on one, your licence will be with you in a week or so :D

Long time now, but he just came over for a chat, had a look at the cabinet. Asked what shooting I wanted to do, at the time I was just doing rough shooting. Told me to join BASC for the insurance. At the time I did alot of beating so I think it showed I had some form of connection with the shooting world. Like it has been said just be yourself,

Aup :)

Just wondering what questions I might get asked by the feo next week when I have my interview.

Thanks

Martin

The FEO will just want to make sure your a tidy chap and if by owning a shotgun you would not become a risk to the public. Much will be general observations but he may also enquire about your family. He might chuck in a question about "guns" for example a friend was asked "where are the guns then?" this was on his first application so he didn't have any "guns". Rumours of theses trick questions spread like wildfire but in general as already said, be yourself. If asked a question and you don't know the answer then say you don't know and don't try to make it up! The FEO will ask question about your security, do the windows have locks, are the doors sufficiently secured, do you have a house alarm, is the house empty for long periods of time. If there has been anything flagged up on your application, he might also want clarification. Just be welcoming, smile and offer a cuppa and sit back.

John

As someone above said, if he asks where you're going to keep the keys, tell him "somewhere safe where only I will know where they are." and brief your spouse/partner/parents/kids/lodger that if he asks them where the keys are, they don't know!

Other than that, he's not really there to catch you out, and unless you tell him you want the shotguns to go on a killing spree there's not much you can do to foul up your application. Best bet is to be totally honest, if you don't know, say so and ask for his advice (a bit of ego massage goes a long way in building a good relationship). Remember, the FEO's tend to stay around for a bit, so if you can get him/her on side early on it makes it easier in the future!

Above all, don't worry too much about it, relax and treat them like an old friend round for a cuppa!