help with studding a dog

Hi Everyone,

I have never put a dog to stud before and I am thinking of putting my Alano espanol x to stud this year – ideally to make a quality bull x or running alaunt or whatever you wanna call it! Not something with to much muscle as the pups would end up to heavy.

I am asking for genuine advice so any sarcastic, know it all, arm chair hunters that haven’t bred before don’t bother replying because I’m not interested.

Much obliged.

Happy Hunting

Langouroux. :thumbs:

Bullmastiff – see you Monday I’ll ask your advice then! :toast:

Hi Everyone,

I have never put a dog to stud before and I am thinking of putting my Alano espanol x to stud this year – ideally to make a quality bull x or running alaunt or whatever you wanna call it! Not something with to much muscle as the pups would end up to heavy.

I am asking for genuine advice so any sarcastic, know it all, arm chair hunters that haven't bred before don't bother replying because I'm not interested.

Much obliged.

Happy Hunting

Langouroux. :thumbs:

Bullmastiff – see you Monday I'll ask your advice then! :toast:

Not sure what advice your looking for bud,,you seem to have it all worked out,,one thing is, once you start him at stud he will go looking for bitchs anywhere he can, they turn into real horn dogs,,

ok mate genuine quesion..what will your dog bring to the table a well bred bull wouldnt? like i said mate not a dig at you, a genuine question

sorry for the delay - i have been up in Dorset having some fun with bullmastiff and another lads from THL. :boogie:

Well that is a very good question mate....the alano espanol is a very old breed, manly used for boar but also do protection work etc. my dog is very clever and a multi tasker, is capable of taking various quarry but lacks in speed. he has an exceptional nose and marks rabbits when ferreting etc, but then main things is bite power.....he has A LOT of it! I know you will say that all bull's have a lot of bite power which is true but the alano is specifically breed fro holding boar, and he is from Spanish working lines. Bullmastiff will back me up, as he has seen flash give a couple of things a crunch.... including my wellies! :icon_eek:

and for a such a large dog he is very quick!

Edited by langouroux

Is your question what to breed him to or the actual method used to get him to mate

both! :icon_redface:

Dont know what to put him to . but make sure his first couple of matings arent with maiden bitches and you have someone with you who has mated dogs before cos you wont learn from reading mate atb with it