Couple of feeding questions...

Hi folks,

Just a couple of feeding questions...

I know it's common sense not to feed directly before excersise, but what about after? My pup always yaps for his meal when we get in from a walk, be it morning or night. Is it best to let him settle after excersise or is it okay to feed straight away?

Also when do you drop pups from 3 meals a day to 2?

He currently had biscuits in the morning with a variety of toppings from tinned fish to goats milk. Then 2 meals of raw usually 1 meaty and 1 bone.

And when I do drop a meal would you drop a Raw meal and still feed biscuits or drop biscuits?

I am only feeding biscuits at the moment as I know how vital the correct vitamins and minerals are to a growing pup and I don't trust exclusively feeding raw enough to supply all of these whilst he is growing.

Any input appreciated,

Gaz.

hi gareth keep the pup on 3 meals for now,flesh bone tripe chicken mince lambs necks brown bread and if one his concerned the dog may miss some vitamin etc keepers mix will provide those . but a good natural diet with the odd bit of veg etc , his a much more natural diet plus the dog will grow steadily, not to quick which can happen on high protein complete mixes ,spongy bone canbe a cause of growing to quickly . say 30% protein like in most brand puppy meals , every meal his excessive . natural flesh bone etc vary from red to white flesh offal etc . Plus the dog will have the sparkle only natural diets give good strong gut probiotics , having only a small kennell gives you the opportunity to feed in this manner. all the best good luck with ya pup bunnys

Gastric processes are usually back to normal 30 mins after exercise such as running so a gentle walk home of 10 to 15 mins as a cool down after a run and it should be ok to feed.

Re feeding, how old is the pup? With mine, 9 months, I feed twice a day now, was three times a day till six months, and use a complete as the main feed, adult formula, with table scraps cooked veg etc and add raw/bones a couple of times a week. The dogs do well on this regime as you get the best of both worlds :thumbs: .

Thanks. Pup is 4 months. Will keep him on 3 meals for a couple more months then.

I intend to drop the biscuits completely when he is around 12 months and fee exclusively raw. Just want to make sure he is getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs while he is a pup.

Gaz.

Thanks. Pup is 4 months. Will keep him on 3 meals for a couple more months then.

I intend to drop the biscuits completely when he is around 12 months and fee exclusively raw. Just want to make sure he is getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs while he is a pup.

Gaz.

Guessing it is a lurcher? if so then a completely raw diet may not meet the needs of a running dog especially if working hard, I'd use a carb source ie oats, pasta, dog biscuits etc as well. :thumbs:

Gaz.

Guessing it is a lurcher? if so then a completely raw diet may not meet the needs of a running dog especially if working hard, I'd use a carb source ie oats, pasta, dog biscuits etc as well. :thumbs:

Get some lamb fat in it